Setting up W 4th axis

More
02 Nov 2011 12:07 #14510 by Todd Zuercher
I know I saw something about this once before, but darnd if I can find it now..

I have a router that I am considering converting to EMC2. It is a 4 axis machine with xyz and a true w (2 spindles each on its own axis with fixed spacing between them).

I know that I need to do some configuring of a, b, c, u, and v for w to work, but what exactly has to be specified, and what can be left out?

thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Nov 2011 13:50 #14516 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Re:Setting up W 4th axis
Todd Zuercher wrote:

It is a 4 axis machine with xyz and a true w (2 spindles each on its own axis with fixed spacing between them).

I might be tempted to treat that as a toolchange, with a fixed Y-axis offset on T2. As long as you program a retract-on-toolchange then HAL can swap the Z command signal between the actuators without an F-error (I think).
This is only any good if you don't intend using both spindles at the same time, of course.

To have it individually programmable as a W axis, you need placeholder sections for [AXIS_3] to [AXIS_7] (which I believe can be completely empty) and then the W data in [AXIS_8].

You also need [TRAJ] AXES=9 (even though it isn't true) and [TRAJ] COORDINATES = XYZW

More
02 Nov 2011 20:01 #14526 by Todd Zuercher
What I need to find is an example of the placeholders needed.

Is this only in the ini file, or is there things in the hal file as well.

More
02 Nov 2011 20:07 #14528 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic Re:Setting up W 4th axis
In the ini file iirc just have

[AXIS_0]
through
[AXIS_8]

and only put things in the sections that you have an axis for like 0, 1, 2, and 8

John

More
27 Nov 2011 04:55 #15110 by Todd Zuercher
Thanks, so I only needed the headings.

I thought there would need to be something more, and that was where I was going wrong.

Time to create page: 0.102 seconds