Mesa 5i20 Plasma with THC using servos.

More
03 Jan 2012 20:48 #16269 by tzak
I wanted to get a thread started on setting up a 3 axis plasma with THC using the Mesa 5i20 card. I know that there is some documentation with regards to stepper configs however I wanted to see if anyone has had any success using servos and the THCAD from mesa. I have a 3 axis router using servos and the Mesa card, however I wanted to know how I can modify what I have to included THC and what other hardware I will need.

thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Jan 2012 12:15 #16336 by andypugh
tzak wrote:

I wanted to get a thread started on setting up a 3 axis plasma with THC using the Mesa 5i20 card. I know that there is some documentation with regards to stepper configs however I wanted to see if anyone has had any success using servos

Conceptually, and as far as EMC2 is concerned there is no difference. This sort of thing is handled by the "A" in "HAL" (Hardware Abstraction Layer).
Basically any signal that goes to a stepgen in a stepper config just gets sent to a PID in a servo config.

More
05 Jan 2012 12:24 #16338 by BigJohnT
This is my stepper config using THCAD but like Andy said the only difference is the servos vs steppers part.

gnipsel.com/shop/plasma/plasma.xhtml

John

More
05 Jan 2012 15:06 #16344 by tzak
Thanks for the reply guys.

I guess my main trouble is configuring what I have working into a plasma system. I have looked at your code John and am just not sure where to start modifying and what I need to leave behind as far as the THC goes. I understand that the stepper vs servo as far as EMC2 is concerned shouldn't really matter. But like I mentioned what should I change/add to the config I already have. This is a slightly modified version of the m5i20 config that was in ver 2.2.1 I believe which I have running a 3 axis system. I attached the files below.

If you can point me in the right direction I would appreciate it.

Thanks

File Attachment:

File Name: Archive.zip
File Size:7 KB
Attachments:

More
05 Jan 2012 18:22 #16351 by BigJohnT
I'm guessing any sections in the hal files clearly marked THC would be a good place to start...

John

Time to create page: 0.149 seconds