MPG2 Pendant

More
03 May 2009 13:51 - 03 May 2009 13:52 #201 by lelef
MPG2 Pendant was created by lelef
hi,
I'm not new to EMC but I can't make the mpg2 pendant from CNC4PC with his interface card work, I've tried to use this configuration wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/emcinfo.pl?Hooking_Up_A_MPG_Pendant setting the right parport address but when I try to set all the pins for input EMC won't work,
I'm shure my 2nd pci lpt port can work for inputs .
I,m using EMC 2.1
I have to change hardware settings in ubuntu? how?
Is it a 2.1 eMC problem?

Thanx, Lele
Last edit: 03 May 2009 13:52 by lelef.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 May 2009 14:56 #202 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic Re:MPG2 Pendant
That was done in 2.2 so I'm unsure if it will work with 2.1.

After section 1 is added but with nothing from section 3 will EMC start up? If so then open the Show HAL Configuration window and see if the pins from the second parallel port show up as you expect them to. If that goes ok then add one line at a time and see if EMC will start up. When you get to the offending line holler.

John

More
03 May 2009 15:14 #203 by lelef
Replied by lelef on topic Re:MPG2 Pendant
I've done a step by step configuration, i,ve used halmeter to understand what emc see about 2nd lpt port and it is not all input pins, pin 9 for example is seen as output, when I try to configure only one pin or all the lpt pins as inputs emc don't start and reports errors about the 2nd parport configuration.
I'm shure about the lpt address because I can read and wite pins but I can't do nothing different different from the normal in-out settings like here farm3.static.flickr.com/2396/2368212575_6b9b716565_m.jpg pin 9 can't be set as input.

oops errata corrige EMC is 2.2 (I'm not near the machine and it has no internet)

More
03 May 2009 15:32 - 03 May 2009 15:35 #204 by BigJohnT
Ok, at least you have found the problem. If the paraport can't be used as an input then that limits what you can do with the MPG. Either try a different parallel port card or change to code to only use the inputs you have. You can get by without the increment setting you can leave out the mux parts but you will need the 5 inputs that a normal parallel port has for the encoder and the jog enables.

Edit: In the Stepconf Wizard you can't configure a second parallel port.

John
Last edit: 03 May 2009 15:35 by BigJohnT.

More
03 May 2009 15:58 #205 by lelef
my lpt card is EPP/ECP but it seems to be seen as a standard port ,ubunto recognize it as "LSI Logic / Symbios Logic: Unknown device 0010" irq 12 the right address is d400.
The pendant I'm using has a pcb inteface so It's a problem to change pins and the normal lpt inputs are not enough :(
I should use my motherboard lpt for the pendant and the 2nd one for servomotors (i've worked on it for hours and I've understand it only now :laugh: ) .

It's seems to be more an operative system problem right?

Sorry for my bad english :blush:

Thanx ,Lele

More
03 May 2009 19:25 #206 by BigJohnT
Lele,

That would be another option to use the onboard parallel port for the mpg and the pci parallel port for your servomotors. Sometimes the simple problems can take time to track down. Yes the problem seems to be with your pci parallel port card.

Your English is way better than my Italian ;)

When I do a "lspci -v" from a terminal I get this for my card

0000:00:10.0 Communication controller: NetMos Technology PCI 1 port parallel adapter (rev 01)
Subsystem: LSI Logic / Symbios Logic: Unknown device 0010
Flags: medium devsel, IRQ 11
I/O ports at a800
I/O ports at ac00
I/O ports at b000
I/O ports at b400
I/O ports at b800
I/O ports at bc00

Can you get another card to try?

John

More
12 May 2009 10:35 #241 by lelef
changed lpt ,on board for pendant and pci for servos and it works :)

Time to create page: 0.128 seconds