Retrofitting a Deckel FP5NC

More
02 Oct 2018 15:21 - 02 Oct 2018 16:21 #118359 by gernoff
Inspired by Marks thread on retrofitting his Maho I have decided to get back on track and begin the process of converting my machine to LinuxCNC.
The 10 HP DC spindle motor is dead and I purchased a 3.7/5.5KW Yaskawa UAASKA-06CA1 motor and will be powering it with a DuraPulse GS3 VFD.
The gearbox is 6 speed and is shifted using 2 DC motors. These motors rotate a cam mechanism that drives the gears to the 3 positions on each shaft. One motor drives to engage 3 engagement positions and the drive to two engage positions and neutral. The motors are reversible but the cam systems allows the motors to drive continuously in one direction without hitting a hard stop. Each motor has 3 switches for shift logic.

Other details:
DC servo axis drives, tachometer feedback, driven by Bosch TR25 amp, ±10VDC speed signal
Direct position feedback from 20 micron glass scales, output signal is sin / cos (will need to convert via EXE board for LinuxCNC)
Scales have home index position.
Each axis has 3 limit switch positions, the first to engage stops rapid feed, the second one is the actual end of travel limit switch and the 3rd (over travel) is tied into the E-stop chain.

I have schematics but only in German.

The first hurdle will be reverse engineering the E-stop chain.
Attachments:
Last edit: 02 Oct 2018 16:21 by gernoff.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Oct 2018 15:42 #118361 by gernoff
Replied by gernoff on topic Retrofitting a Deckel FP5NC
Attached are the schematics for most of the relay logic of my machine, since I am an idiot mono-lingual american....... Would someone be willing to translate these signal lines for me?

This browser does not support PDFs. Please download the PDF to view it: Download PDF

Attachments:

More
05 Oct 2018 12:15 #118465 by andypugh
translate.google.com is good at this sort of thing.

More
12 Oct 2018 12:37 - 12 Oct 2018 12:45 #118708 by RotarySMP
Hi Gernoff,

I hope you can read my hand writing. If any of it is illegible to you, please let me know.

This browser does not support PDFs. Please download the PDF to view it: Download PDF

Are you sure you need to reverse engineer the E-Stop chain? On the MAHO this is all hard wired with micro switches and relay contacts. I just had to connect the output of that into the input of LinuxCNC. On yours is the PLC integrated into the exisitng CNC control, or is it a separate unit which you can leave in and treat like a black box, as with my MAHO's hardware solution?

Mark
Attachments:
Last edit: 12 Oct 2018 12:45 by RotarySMP.

More
09 Jun 2021 15:00 - 09 Jun 2021 15:08 #211625 by gernoff
Finally getting back to this project......
The Deckel FP5NC used a DC spindle motor driving a 6 speed gearbox. Hopefully gearbox.comp can be easily modified to work with the 2ea. 8vdc reversible shifter motors. Attached is what information I have from the Deckel manuals:

Attachments:
Last edit: 09 Jun 2021 15:08 by gernoff.
The following user(s) said Thank You: chochanghyun

More
09 Jun 2021 15:31 - 09 Jun 2021 15:45 #211627 by gernoff
The DC spindle motor has died and I am replacing it with a VFD/Vector controlled 3phase motor. The plan will be to use both the gearbox and the variable speed of the VFD just like the original system worked. Will start studying the gearbox.comp files.
Going to spend a few days counting IO pins of the FP5NC SPS (PLC? / PC) module and the control terminal:
Will be retaining the buttons and rotary's and replacing the CRT/keypad with a LCD touchscreen.

Attachments:
Last edit: 09 Jun 2021 15:45 by gernoff.

More
30 Mar 2022 19:27 #238805 by gernoff
Looking through the other Maho & Deckel retrofit threads I see I am not the only one who stays away for extended periods.  Hoping to get some info on the gearbox shift mechanics and logic of my FP5NC.  Attached is the SPS logic tree for the spindle and gearbox shifters. There are 3 micro-switches on each of the two gear shift motors allowing for LH, Center, RH on the 'Gearbox' selector fork and LH, Neutral, RH on the 'Backgear' selector.  The two motors are driven using 3 relays K10 (gearbox), K11 (backgear) and K12 to reverse either motor.

Hopefully one of you native German readers can help interpret the attachments included.

Thanks everyone.

Attachments:

More
30 Mar 2022 19:51 #238811 by gernoff
Also like to add that if anyone needs detail pics of anything on a Deckel FP5NC I can get them for you.

More
15 Jun 2022 14:59 - 15 Jun 2022 15:04 #245203 by gernoff
Finally got a motor and VFD operational. Almost have it fully wired up to my FP5 existing PLC etc. Question I have is how was the original FP5 DC drive controlled:

According to the attached print, I assume the run command is the PLC signal:
X50:1 Reglerfreigabe (Hauptspindel Reglerfreigabe)
Google translate gives me: 'main spindle controller enable'
My guess is that speed is set by the -10v to +10v input and then run is commanded by 'Hauptspindel Reglerfreigabe'

I have no way to test this output since my existing DC spindle motor is dead and the system fails out when run is commanded.

Appreciated the input.

Erik

Attachments:
Last edit: 15 Jun 2022 15:04 by gernoff.

More
15 Jun 2022 21:03 #245228 by andypugh
Does it matter how it was orignally controlled if you have replaced the original controller and the original drive does not work?

Moderators: piasdom
Time to create page: 1.897 seconds