× Forum Header

Need assitance from CNCPRO > EMC2 Camtronics board

More
03 Jan 2011 21:04 - 03 Jan 2011 21:04 #6408 by AdrianH
Hello to the group and sorry my first post is asking questions.

A failure of my old DOS PC has prompted an effort to move to more up to date control software. So I have installed EMC from the latest live CD and have EMC2.4.6 and Ubantu 10.04.

My initial sticking point is the machine information and completing the step times etc.

The stepper controller is circa 2000 and consists of 3 Camtronics 5 Amp Chopper drivers, as they arePIC based boards I do not know the minimum times the pins have to be high or low?

I am assuming this is what the initial setup is asking for, i.e. the pulse length needed for the board to recognise it?

So I am wondering if any other users have these drives and could let me know what setting they use, I could start at 10 ms and work down but I need to keep moving the PC from desk to workshop so would like to get as much done before shifting everything.

The mill is only a small benchtop Chester Champion Mill converted many years ago.

The steppers are 3 x HY200 3437 400A8 I believe these are 300 oz in max. The mill never goes very fast with around 250 mm/min for G0 travel and typically 100 mm/min for cutting speeds with the 1/3 Hp motor and 1600 spindle speed.

Original page of the CNC setup from many years ago is www.tamarisktechnicals.com/pages/cnc.html which should be removed soon as it is so out of date now.

Anyway TIA.

Adrian
Last edit: 03 Jan 2011 21:04 by AdrianH.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Jan 2011 23:33 #6410 by BigJohnT
I don't see your drives on the stepper timing page of the wiki

wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/emcinfo.pl?Stepper_Drive_Timing

If you can't find the info on the web just start with some rather large numbers for testing... they can't be too big.

If you sort out the timing please add it to the wiki page.

John

More
03 Jan 2011 23:38 #6411 by BigJohnT
Adrian,

I like your roadster build on your web site. The only thing I see you got wrong was the steering wheel is on the wrong side B) I've been tossing the idea around in my head to build a T bucket perhaps...

John

More
03 Jan 2011 23:41 - 03 Jan 2011 23:43 #6412 by AdrianH
Hi John.

I did quite a bit of searching before asking the question, the only post I found was regards screw cutting when searched for Camtronics.

I emailed the company but did not get any information, perhaps I asked wrong.

Also if I may? I searched the case studies on the wiki page and looked under mini mills to see any near examples but found most of the web pages listed were just broken links. Who should I mention this to?

Cheers

Adrian

p.s.

Nah The steering wheel is on the correct side! Glad you like it, off the road at the moment in a paint shop!
Last edit: 03 Jan 2011 23:43 by AdrianH.

More
05 Jan 2011 14:15 #6439 by andypugh
AdrianH wrote:

So I am wondering if any other users have these drives and could let me know what setting they use, I could start at 10 ms and work down but I need to keep moving the PC from desk to workshop so would like to get as much done before shifting everything

10mS would be _huge_. The numbers are in nS (nanoseconds). 50,000 nS (50uS, 0.05mS) should be very conservative.

www.tamarisktechnicals.com/pages/cnc.html which should be removed soon as it is so out of date now.

I see you have a Harrison milling machine. I am in the middle of converting one of those to CNC. If you are in the UK then the original power feed gear will soon be looking for a new home if it is any good to you.

More
05 Jan 2011 18:03 #6447 by AdrianH
Hi Andy

You just said the wrong thing there in that you are in the UK so I know who to pester for answers:)

On the gear, I never thought about it with my manual mill. I believed the power driven ones had ball screws and driven gears on the opposite end to the handle, making them ideal for change over where as mine is standard lead screw. It could be something I consider in the future, where are you locate?

Cheers

Adrian

More
05 Jan 2011 18:21 - 05 Jan 2011 18:21 #6449 by andypugh
AdrianH wrote:

On the gear, I never thought about it with my manual mill. I believed the power driven ones had ball screws and driven gears on the opposite end to the handle, making them ideal for change over where as mine is standard lead screw.

Mine has an ordinary leadscrew, but the part number is different to yours. Looking in the manual it appears that they did offer a recirculating ball screw/nut option. Interesting. I also see that on mine the nut is disengageable so that you can use the power feed to operate a dividing head instead whereas on yours it is fixed.

where are you locate?

I am exiled in Basildon.
Last edit: 05 Jan 2011 18:21 by andypugh.

Time to create page: 0.075 seconds