Retrofit Approach

More
09 Jun 2011 17:50 - 10 Jun 2011 05:09 #10394 by KPA
Retrofit Approach was created by KPA
As I struggle with my own conversion (2nd one) I see we need some sort of documentation that speaks to the approach to take for a retrofit that incorporates EMC2.

Something like a simple checklist that can be expanded upon, e.g.

1. Assess machine physical state and repair, i.e. worn parts that need fixing, etc.
2. Read ALL EMC2 documentation - 1st pass to get a cursory understanding of EMC2 and the resources available.
3. Scan EMC2 forum topics - to get a feel for current hot topics, other knowledge gems.
4. Determine what you will change - are you improving the machine, reparing it, or ruining it.
5. Put together a functional control list - this is the start of the logic build
6. Pick your GUI, design your Console
7. .. <haven't figure it out yet as I'm still working my way through everything>
8. ..<pick your interface boards, drivers, etc.>

To some this may be obvious, to others, especially folks new to retrofits this will be gold!

Jay
Last edit: 10 Jun 2011 05:09 by KPA.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Jun 2011 18:33 - 09 Jun 2011 18:43 #10396 by jCandlish
Replied by jCandlish on topic Re:Retrofit Approach
There is a broad class of fine manual machines were retrofitting to CNC could be considered a downgrade. If your goal is to maintain the precision of a touch operated machine, then until serious work on backlash, feedback and jitter is done, your defeated before you start.

There is a reason hydraulically controlled machines were/are used in the watchmaking industry.

I'm looking for 10um, or its not worth the effort to spoil a nice machine.
Attachments:
Last edit: 09 Jun 2011 18:43 by jCandlish.

More
09 Jun 2011 18:53 #10397 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic Re:Retrofit Approach
Jay,

Sounds like a good idea, you can add your pages to the wiki which is a user maintained source for information.

John

More
10 Jun 2011 04:57 #10401 by KPA
Replied by KPA on topic Re:Retrofit Approach
JC,
I know exactly what you mean, a retrofit should either repair or improve the machine, not destroy it. I've seen bad retrofits out there where people take a rip-and-replace approach, ending up with a shell of a machine. A lot of good engineering goes into functional design. Sometimes a light touch is all that's needed, i.e. a simple DRO added, or upgrade the electronics. The retrofitter needs to be thorough in his assessment to determine if they can really improve upon an existing design.

I would put an Hardinge HLV-H in that class. Picking up one is in my future, but to retrofit it, not so sure. I know Babbin does them, but they go to a lot of effort to retain original look and feel.

Jay

More
10 Jun 2011 05:05 - 10 Jun 2011 05:05 #10402 by KPA
Replied by KPA on topic Re:Retrofit Approach
John,
Thanks for the invite, I need to build it out a bit more before I post it to the Wiki.

If anyone has more ideas that apply please post them and I'll compile them into a Wiki page!

Jay
Last edit: 10 Jun 2011 05:05 by KPA.

Moderators: HansU
Time to create page: 0.130 seconds