A axis and pendent

More
19 May 2010 03:07 - 19 May 2010 03:45 #2902 by chuck1024
A axis and pendent was created by chuck1024
I am doing a bit of work with A-axis and I think a long time ago the cut preview displayed A axis movement. It went away after some upgrade. I just upgraded to 2.4.0. I saw a reverence to GEOMETRY=XYZA and thought that might be related but doesn't seem to be. So how to I see A axis movement on the screen?

I really need a pendent for jogging. Where can I find a suitable USB device? Will the Tormach shuttle jog controller work?
Thanks a lot.
chuck
Last edit: 19 May 2010 03:45 by chuck1024. Reason: typo

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 May 2010 11:17 #2907 by Rick G
Replied by Rick G on topic Re:A axis and pendent
Take a look here,
wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/emcinfo.pl?Simple_Remote_Pendant
wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/emcinfo.pl?Add...imple_Remote_Pendant

You need to look at the geometry, in theory with XYZA the A axis rotates on the Z axis (like the spindle spinning and therefore you cannot see movement. Any AXIS listed after A would rotate and be shown on the screen moving. You need to change the geometry.

Rick G

More
19 May 2010 13:50 #2913 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Re:A axis and pendent
chuck1024 wrote:

I really need a pendent for jogging. Where can I find a suitable USB device? Will the Tormach shuttle jog controller work?

The Tormach jog shuttle is a standard Contour Shuttle Xpress with some screen printing. You can probably find one more cheaply elsewhere.
It can be made to work with EMC2, though it takes some work as it is a bit odd.
hidcomp.sourceforge.net/
But beware of the caveats in this thread
www.mail-archive.com/emc-users@lists.sou...ge.net/msg02091.html

More
19 May 2010 23:21 #2917 by chuck1024
Replied by chuck1024 on topic Re:A axis and pendent
I read the integrators manual and it is not clear to me what geometry statement to use for a 4 axis mill. My next question is why isn't the geometry statement automatically generated by stepconf when it creates the .ini file? Should I rerun stepconf?
This is what I have. Generated long ago.
[TRAJ]
AXES = 4
COORDINATES = X Y Z A
MAX_ANGULAR_VELOCITY = 30.30
DEFAULT_ANGULAR_VELOCITY = 3.03
LINEAR_UNITS = inch
ANGULAR_UNITS = degree
CYCLE_TIME = 0.010
DEFAULT_VELOCITY = 0.10
MAX_LINEAR_VELOCITY = 1.00

Thanks for this info on pendants. I was looking for something simple. Looks like I will have to dig deeper.

chuck

More
20 May 2010 10:12 #2919 by Rick G
Replied by Rick G on topic Re:A axis and pendent
There is a great section on kinematics in the EMC2 Integrator manual. You also might try playing with the 9 axis sample files supplied with EMC and modifying them.

More
20 May 2010 16:27 #2931 by chuck1024
Replied by chuck1024 on topic Re:A axis and pendent
I read the kinematics section and frankly don't understand it and I don't see any discussion on how to set GEOMETRY.

Someone stated that the rotary axis needs to follow the linear axis that it rotates about. ( I don't know how they deduce this from the documents) This would imply that A should follow X so I tried GEOMETRY=XAYZ which created an odd preview.

I reran stepconf and the new .ini file did not have a GEOMETRY statement even though it created a 4 axis file. It would seem to me that there should be some kind of default.

BTW, I am running EMC 2.4.0

Time to create page: 0.069 seconds