Burny 2.8 to EMC conversion

More
01 Jul 2010 09:24 #3258 by henry
First of all I'm thrilled to have found this community. My goal is to create my own CNC router at home but before I do that I would like to first learn more about EMC2 . I search the forum for info on Burny controllers but didn't find to much stuff so I'll ask the question. At work I have and old burny controller it controls a plasma cutter, how hard would it be to slap a pc to it running EMC2? Will the current hardware that controls the motors work with EMC2?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Jul 2010 11:39 #3259 by BigJohnT
Hi Henry,

Welcome to the forum.

I don't know anything about the Burny except that I have seen the name before. EMC can control just about anything that takes step and direction inputs or velocity inputs with position feedback. EMC is the "smart" side and controls "dumb" electronics.

Do you know much about the Burny? Steppers or Servos?

John

More
01 Jul 2010 11:57 #3260 by henry
No I don't know much about it, I mostly deal with hypertherm equipment. Next time I'm in that shop I'l make not of the spec. Another thought I've had is one of our Hypertherm machines need the control also updated, however I'm wondering how the hypertherm motion controller card would interact with emc.

More
01 Jul 2010 12:11 - 01 Jul 2010 12:12 #3261 by BigJohnT
Henry,

I built a plasma table and used a Hypertherm 1250 with it. I found the Hypertherm tech guy hangs out on the CNC Zone in the plasma section to be the most helpful guy around and knows the Hypertherm equipment extremely well. I'd bet if you posted the model number of your machine over there and asked if it could be controlled with EMC he would tell you. The key is EMC controls "dumb" hardware and is not designed to work with "smart" hardware.

If you think about it take a picture of the controls for your Burny and post it here.

John
Last edit: 01 Jul 2010 12:12 by BigJohnT.

More
02 Jul 2010 17:42 #3264 by DonnieET
We have two burny's at work they are PCc base to start with.

Time to create page: 0.071 seconds