startup program

More
03 Aug 2010 21:59 #3567 by Pentax
startup program was created by Pentax
so, i'm very close to my ultimate goal of having a one button startup for my machine. you press "ON" and the computer turns on, boots up, emc starts, and is ready to be homed.

I'm struggling a little bit with having emc start maximized.... but i'm more perturbed by something else...

i changed the axis.ngc to a useful program. however, it lives in a horrible location. I would like to change the startup up program in emc to one of the programs in my local programs folder. its a pain to have to find the programs folder every time i edit or change.

help? thoughts?

thank you,
A

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Aug 2010 08:00 - 04 Aug 2010 08:32 #3569 by cmorley
Replied by cmorley on topic Re:startup program
to get AXIS to start full screen you need to look at devils pie.
look here:
ubuntu-tutorials.com/2007/07/25/how-to-s...ow-effects-in-gnome/
I havent tried it - let me know if you do.

here is gui for it :
code.google.com/p/gdevilspie/

I just tried it and it works.

Maybe we should add this to AXIS'S FAG hey big John :)
Last edit: 04 Aug 2010 08:32 by cmorley.

More
04 Aug 2010 09:58 #3573 by Rick G

More
04 Aug 2010 21:57 #3580 by Pentax
Replied by Pentax on topic Re:startup program
Allright, thanks for the input. I have a new start program, which is great. HOwever, I am having a really hard time with this devils pie business... I installed the GUI, but I don't think it works under dapper drake. Thanks for the help, more ideas on window max at startup would be appreciated.

I found the devils pie for dapper version .1 something, but I can't seem to install it. I can hand the ./configure command and it goes well, but the "make" command seems to do nothing in terminal. do you not use terminal for this?

thanks,
A

More
05 Aug 2010 05:55 #3585 by cmorley
Replied by cmorley on topic Re:startup program
what does make say after you enter it.
I am using 8.04

More
05 Aug 2010 21:24 - 06 Aug 2010 20:43 #3597 by Pentax
ok, so ignore what this post used to be. i chased each error, and downloaded and installed the missing packages, in the ./configure until it configured correctly, however, now the "make" seems to fail, and the make error says something about a missing colon in the source code, which is not something i want to deal with. I think i will give on on devils pie v.0.16 and see if i can get the GUI to work in dapper.
Last edit: 06 Aug 2010 20:43 by Pentax.

More
06 Aug 2010 21:10 #3611 by Pentax
all right, forget all this. i've been at it for three hours, and I'm done. I'm going to see if I can upgrade to heron.

man.

A

More
07 Aug 2010 02:11 #3615 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Re:startup program
Why not go all the way to Lucid Lynx? That is the LTS version at the moment, and what EMC2 will be built on from now on.
There are packages already available, and an install script for CPUs with 1 or 2 32 bit cores. quad-core and 64 bit is still up in the air, though, as I understand it.

More
07 Aug 2010 03:59 #3618 by Pentax
i use emc on lucid lynx at home, but I thought it was a beta? is it now considered a stable version? maybe i'll just do that, since i know lucid better than these older versions...

Thanks,
A

More
07 Aug 2010 11:34 #3620 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Re:startup program
The version of EMC2 is the same whether run on Lucid or Hardy. The experimental part is the Lucid RT kermel.

Time to create page: 0.672 seconds