Are these servo/steppers appropriate?(Fastech EZI)

More
01 Oct 2010 21:31 #4479 by 1:1
dab77 wrote:

Thanks Andy for linking!
Hi 1:1, i'm the one who did the emc2-flying volleyball. is it real you're doing the same directly with 3dstudiomax out? interesting.
just right now i'm using splines in 3dsmax to draw the path, then i convert them with a script into g-code, and i feed emc2 with this code (slightly modified manually...). Then i still can jog the single motors, or the position of the object directly with keys, or with a joystick (..still haven't done..).
Interesting that we do the same job, where are you from?
I think you know the Fisher Navigator System..do you?

Andy, that system, used and sold by Los Angeles Fisher people, is the very professional system to do the 3d fly of objects (like cameras) and people!! they use this in making movies, for example...
in fact now my objective is improving the sistem, making it safe and powerful to do something like that..
ciao!

Hello ! I am from New Zealand :silly: - Fisher no, I use either Q-Motion (www.stageone.co.uk/_content/3_qmotion.php) a UK product or an Australian system made by APC (www.apcintegration.com.au/areas_TEA.asp) - I've seen others in action (FOY and two others I cant remember the names of) and talked with other operators from around the world, seems like once you know 1 or 2 then you can pick up any other very fast huh...

When I mentioned 3DSMax I didn't mean it was 'streaming' step/dir directly (although that would be pretty cool, and I have seen an example of someone doing with with one axis in Maya) - it was more that 3DSMax outputted a file of positions every so and so time period, in which the slope of the graph between each time point was generated to provide the step rate (or voltage, or duty cycle or whatever) at that point in time... Its funny how 3D moves which you'd think would be harder aren't that tricky - maybe 2^n (n= # of dimensions) harder... But because of the way we (I'm assuming you do it the same way) rig our winches its arbitrarily easy to add as many winches in whatever places they need to be. Anyway, digression !

I'm more interested in cine moco now myself - this is the main 'other project' that I refer to where I'll be using the drives/motors from the CNC

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Oct 2010 22:06 #4480 by 1:1
jmelson wrote:

I make brushless drives that run off DC, the specific voltage can be selected to match the motor. Up to 122 V DC, up to 20 A. We have tried it with motors from Pittman (NEMA size 11) up to Fanuc Red Cap that weight 15 Kilos.
Keling sells some size 23 (tested) and 34 (haven't tried these yet) motors at a very good price. I can set up the size 23 motors from Keling with a CUI encoder, and have them on my web store for $120. These would be awesome on a desktop or smaller mill, but the size 34 might be better for a Bridgeport-size machine.
The Keling motors would run fine on 50 - 75 V DC, just get an appropriate transformer/rectifier/capacitor.
I can advise on some of those details.

These would be used with our Univeral PWM Controller. You can see all these items at :

pico-systems.com/oscrc4/catalog/index.php?cPath=3

Jon

Hi Jon,

I am more confused than ever right now with trying to figure all of this out - so many solutions - it all sounds good ...

But many
'but you'll need this'
'you'll have to figure out how to make this talk to this'
'not sure if it'll work'

etc...

obviously not directed at you personally !

What I'm going to do is write a succint and short summary of what I need and send it off to suppliers, I think the main factor in (not) knowing what I want is not knowing what torque rating I need... But I've cracked that nut by realising I had a limiting factor with which a torque rating could be derived:

COST :dry:

More
01 Oct 2010 22:58 #4481 by dab77
Fisher winches and Navigator software do (i think) the same of qmotion. here's a link www.fishertechnical.com/
we do the same job, although i haven't made any people fly in 3D till now.. apart from using cranes.. costs to much to import such systems in italy, so that's why i'm glad to use emc2 to make a volleyball fly!! :)
unfortunately i don't know what cine moco means, so i think i can't help.
good luck!
Ciao Davide.

More
01 Oct 2010 23:12 #4482 by 1:1
dab77 wrote:

Fisher winches and Navigator software do (i think) the same of qmotion. here's a link www.fishertechnical.com/
we do the same job, although i haven't made any people fly in 3D till now.. apart from using cranes.. costs to much to import such systems in italy, so that's why i'm glad to use emc2 to make a volleyball fly!! :)
unfortunately i don't know what cine moco means, so i think i can't help.
good luck!
Ciao Davide.

That website looks familiar - must have found it one day ...

Yes, its all very similar - lots of smart minds thinking of the same things all at once - ha ha

Cine = cinema = cameras

moco = mo-co = motion control

'moco' is the film industry term for automated cameras - I usually prefix it with cine around CNC folk so as not to avoid confusion - its really just a camera stuck on the end of your gantry router instead of a drill bit, but g-code aint the most user intuitive system for cinematographers programming camera moves huh !

More
01 Oct 2010 23:29 #4485 by 1:1
this thread got a bit off topic (remember the fastech stuff :blink: )

I have started a new topic here:

www.linuxcnc.org/component/option,com_ku...4/lang,english/#4484

that deals with what we've ended up talking about, (or at least what I want to talk about ) - it may attract some fresh input from people not wanting to read all the off topic (but interesting) carry on

More
02 Oct 2010 15:04 #4495 by dab77
ok, i got it. good luck to you for your job, and sorry to have misdriven your thread! :)
ciao.

More
02 Oct 2010 20:33 #4498 by 1:1
dab77 wrote:

ok, i got it. good luck to you for your job, and sorry to have misdriven your thread! :)
ciao.

ah, hey - its all good ! - why stop an interesting discussion ;)

Maybe there is a place for a specific entertainment motion control forum on the net ?

So we're not floating around CNC, electronics, Arduino/physical computing, max/MSP, lighting, cinematography, DIY steadicam, DIY drone helicopters etc... forums - (and places like vimeo)

your thoughts ?

What are you working on at the moment ?

I've just finished moving Jersey Boys from Melbourne to Sydney - 20+ axes, hydraulics, 18N.m winches - spinning drum kits etc... Simple and linear in its own way, but a very busy and fast show which can make it challenging enough...

Turned down Wicked tour - Lion King coming through Asia soonish ... But I'm thinking of going back to uni myself

More
06 Oct 2010 22:13 #4541 by dab77
:) i'm not working at all in this period! that's why i have spare time to dedicate my self in studying EMC2!! i had to be this year in asia with Juliet and Romeo, but nothing done..
don't think people here is interested in our job, but it's nice to know there's someone else than me here making shows!

i liked this software for my purpose because of its personalization qualities! i think if one is good enough in programming, can also move a 'mill' just by shaking his hand in front of a webcam!!!
so, long life to emc!
cheers!

More
25 Oct 2010 13:34 #4836 by nikos.chalikias
Hello,

As I understand andypugh has written the drivers: bldc_hall3, bldc_sine.

How could I use it?

I am trying to configure my EMC2.4 system to work with 5i20 and 7i39(bldc driver card)

Nikos Chalikias

More
25 Oct 2010 13:59 - 25 Oct 2010 14:00 #4838 by andypugh
Last edit: 25 Oct 2010 14:00 by andypugh.

Time to create page: 0.111 seconds