coding for roller cams

More
21 Oct 2010 10:53 #4768 by grey1beard
I'm running diy 3 axis using ubuntu 8.04/EMC2, and I want to machine some nylon roller cams.
Does anyone know of an open source ( ie free !) piece of software that will help in simplifying the process of going from a specification to g-code ?
I'm aware of Inkscape's G-code tools, which would mean I'd be doing a lot of upgrading, but I was thinking more along the lines of a small program that would allow me to enter radius, and angle of start and finish, rather than drawing it out first, then having possible problems getting the path interpreted correctly.
John

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Oct 2010 11:00 #4769 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic Re:coding for roller cams
John,

I'm pretty sure sheetcam can generate the correct profile. Do you have a dxf of the cam profile that you can post? If so I'll check it out and post the result so you can check it out.

John

More
21 Oct 2010 13:24 - 21 Oct 2010 13:54 #4772 by grey1beard
Thanks John.
Not at the moment, but I'll see if I can produce one by tomorrow - about to go out to celebrate my 72nd birthday !

EDIT Slight delay in celebrations, so I hope this is ok.
It's typical of what I need, namely 24 positions around the cam at three different heights. The original was a circle converted to paths, then modified manually, so it's not spot on.
But then that probably isn't critical.
It's to control the eye movements in an animatronic chameleon - don't ask. :)
John

File Attachment:

File Name: eye_cam1.dxf
File Size:42 KB

EDIT 2 .......But like I said, it would be great to be able to generate the profile from an input table of a deinition of the heights and positions. For me that would be a lot quicker.
Attachments:
Last edit: 21 Oct 2010 13:54 by grey1beard.

More
21 Oct 2010 14:13 #4774 by BigJohnT
Congrats on your 72th... I hope I make it that far.

I'm at work and can view your cam and see what you mean about the cam but can't run it through sheetcam from here. I can see where a table driven cam would be much better. I know I can to that in Solidworks but that is high dollar software.

John

More
21 Oct 2010 14:53 #4777 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Re:coding for roller cams
grey1beard wrote:

I'm running diy 3 axis using ubuntu 8.04/EMC2, and I want to machine some nylon roller cams.
Does anyone know of an open source ( ie free !) piece of software that will help in simplifying the process of going from a specification to g-code ?

The mathematics of roller-lift to cam profile are quite complex, as the roller contact point "leads" or "lags" the line between the centres.
Things get even more complex if the roller moves through an arc.

If I was trying to design such a cam, I think my approach would be to use Excel (or Open Office) and have that produce the G-code directly.

This approach actually works rather well for mathematical shapes like cams.

Alternatively, if you choose a cutter diameter to exactly match the roller diameter, you can "solve the mathematics in hardware". With a rotary acis it then becomes a very simple hand-coding excercise. If you don't have a rotary axis you can convert in Excel/OO again.

(I even think that there is a demo kinematics module that emulates a rotary axis in a cartesian machine)

More
21 Oct 2010 21:16 - 21 Oct 2010 21:38 #4781 by BigJohnT
Andy, did you take a look at the dxf file?

John, here is what I got from Sheetcam... I could not get an outside arc entry with cut on line (you would have to use cutter offset). There is some extra code in there for my plasma you can just delete. Any how you can see the output...

File Attachment:

File Name: eye_cam1.ngc
File Size:3 KB

John
Attachments:
Last edit: 21 Oct 2010 21:38 by BigJohnT.

More
22 Oct 2010 08:36 #4787 by grey1beard
Thanks for the code, John.
I'll have a play over the weekend.
I'll also put my mind to Andy's suggestion, and try a speadsheet approach.
The problem only arose when I loaded my hand cut steel cam with my hand cut steel followers. Off load, it did what I wanted, but friction took over, and clunk.
Now got some 3mm nylon in the post, so I'll machine that.

Many thanks,
John

More
22 Oct 2010 11:41 #4788 by BigJohnT
Hi John,

If you get a chance post a photo of the cam, it sounds real interesting to see the mechanics of it.

John

More
22 Oct 2010 12:17 #4791 by grey1beard
Photo of the one that didn't work ? ;)
John

More
22 Oct 2010 12:31 #4792 by BigJohnT
Sure.

John

Time to create page: 0.079 seconds