What Serial board should i buy? Can i use other pr

More
19 Nov 2010 13:09 #5438 by Anima
Hi All

I've made a all in one machine for my needs. I'm about to buy my first CNC, and i would like to know a few things to make sure i'm on the right track.

____
First of all, i need an extension for my PC to provide the parallelport. I have a mini-itx board from gigabyte. It provides alot of USB-ports (USB3.0 x 2 and some USB 2.0), however, i read that USB is not that good for anything real time. So, thing is this.. I have one PCIE x16 2.0 to use. That's it. No PCI and no Serial pin headers either. So the question is.. which should i get to be sure i get the most out of my setup? - i'm on my first linux pc (Kubuntu 10.04 LTS), so i would like if it is possible to have an easy install - softwarewise.

____
Also, since the PC is being used for everything related to computing in my appartment, i would also like to know if it is adviseable at all to run EMC2 of such a machine? - i regularly use boxee and makemkv to store and watch my movies on the TV. In addition, i use it to backup my laptop, PS3 and STB and i am thinking of using it to host a website. Can all this be done at the same time?

Machine specs:

Gigabyte socket 1156 USB 3.0 board (something like H55N-USB3)
Core i3 530
2 gb ram
4.5 tb storage (unformatted)

____
Finally, how does mach3 compare to EMC2? - some say mach3 is a copy of EMC, and some say that EMC2 is faster, albeit less feature rich and non-supported. I installed the trial version of Mach3 on my laptop and was blown away by the clutter of guages, buttons, drop-down menus, more buttons and more gauges/plots. Can anybody tell me what the differences are, and whats what? I'm new to CNC and need to learn one of them, so i have no preferences.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Nov 2010 14:50 #5439 by andypugh
Anima wrote:

First of all, i need an extension for my PC to provide the parallelport. I have a mini-itx board from gigabyte. It provides alot of USB-ports (USB3.0 x 2 and some USB 2.0), however, i read that USB is not that good for anything real time. So, thing is this.. I have one PCIE x16 2.0 to use. That's it.

I had a quick look on eBay and found lots of PCIe Parallel port cards for $2 (+ $2 shipping) so that seems like an easy solution.

Also, since the PC is being used for everything related to computing in my appartment, i would also like to know if it is adviseable at all to run EMC2 of such a machine? - i regularly use boxee and makemkv to store and watch my movies on the TV. In addition, i use it to backup my laptop, PS3 and STB and i am thinking of using it to host a website. Can all this be done at the same time?

In theory, yes. But you are probably unlikely to be doing CNC machining and watching a movie at the same time anyway. Having EMC2 installed doesn't stop you doing any of that. The web server might get a bit slow when EMC2 is running, but EMC should always be able to take CPU time when it wants it.
Unless you are committed to Kubuntu I would suggest a re-install of EMC2/Ubuntu from the LiveCD, it will save you a lot of configuration issues.

Finally, how does mach3 compare to EMC2? - some say mach3 is a copy of EMC, and some say that EMC2 is faster, albeit less feature rich and non-supported. I installed the trial version of Mach3 on my laptop and was blown away by the clutter of guages, buttons, drop-down menus, more buttons and more gauges/plots. Can anybody tell me what the differences are, and whats what? I'm new to CNC and need to learn one of them, so i have no preferences.

EMC2 has a much broader feature set than Mach3. It runs lathes well, it will control 5-axis machines. It will control industrial robots, automatically converting joint rotations into Cartesian coordinates. One big difference is that EMC2 will control servo motors in closed-loop feedback, whereas Mach3 is rather focussed on stepper motors.
I think that Mach3 is probably easier to configure, but with the EMC2 configuration wizards it is pretty easy to get a working system. EMC2 allows you to get into the inner workings and you can set up really quite elaborate configurations that would be a challenge in Mach3. (I have set up gear hobbing and non-circular lathe turning just by playing about in EMC2s Hardware Abstraction Layer, which allows you to connect any inputs and outputs to any other outputs and inputs, via any function you can find in the library, or, in fact, any function you can write).

EMC2 is undoubtedly more work to learn, the payback is huge capability and flexibility.

I would question that Mach3 has better support too. You can contact other EMC2 users and many of the developers 24/7 on the #EMC channel. I have seen problems fixed with a new software release in less than an hour.

More
19 Nov 2010 15:03 #5440 by Anima
Thanks for the feedback - in essence, i won't do any machining together with playing movies. I just wondered if EMC2 required a PC doing nothing else, or if i couldhave these programs running in the background.

Regarding the serial port issue, does linux support them all, and are they easy to install? - i guess i can just take the cheapest board on ebay and slam in there, but will it actually work? - i've been considering using an Intel Atom for EMC only, as it provides serial pin header and dosen't cost that much more considering i live in Denmark, Europe.

I simply love KDE desktop, as i am used to Windows. Just recently tried out linux. Glad i did. Did not really like Gnome, so i thought i could just install Kubuntu as it would not be much difference. Hmm.. what configuration issues are you talking about? - any link so i can read it for myself?

Thanks,

More
19 Nov 2010 15:55 #5441 by andypugh
Anima wrote:Regarding the serial port issue, does linux support them all, and are they easy to install? - i guess i can just take the cheapest board on ebay and slam in there, but will it actually work? - i've been considering using an Intel Atom for EMC only, as it provides serial pin header and dosen't cost that much more considering i live in Denmark, Europe. [/quote]
Just to be clear, the port you need is a parallel port.
There are known problems with some brands of card in EPP mode (but you don't need EPP unless you are using something like a Mesa 7i43). There is some information in this mailing list thread:
blog.gmane.org/gmane.linux.distributions...nth=20091201/page=12
The Intel D510MO board is popular and should work for general P-Port use. It has a problem with EPP mode, but that has been worked around in the drivers.
If you click the "User Map" link on the left you will see that you are not the only EMC2 user in Denmark.

so i thought i could just install Kubuntu as it would not be much difference. Hmm.. what configuration issues are you talking about? - any link so i can read it for myself?,

The problem is that EMC2 needs RTAI, and RTAI only runs on a patched kernel.
Installation instructons are here: wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/emcinfo.pl?Installing_EMC2
But I don't know how much of that is relevant. There are .debs available somewhwere which might significantly simplify things.

More
19 Nov 2010 22:01 - 19 Nov 2010 22:59 #5450 by andypugh
(Edit: Posted to wrong thread in a potentially confusing way)
Last edit: 19 Nov 2010 22:59 by andypugh.

More
19 Nov 2010 22:22 #5451 by Anima
Well, i'm seriously considering your advise on doing a fresh install. I've only fiddled with installing makemkv and boxee atm. That shouldn't take too long. I actually have one of the disks running Ubuntu 10.04, but i hangs during boot (grub error) and thats the reason i wanted to install Kubuntu instead. Perhaps i can just install KDE on top of gnome.. That should work, right?

Regarding the Serial port.. is this one ok?

cgi.ebay.com/2-RS232-Serial-Port-PCI-E-E...6b2589#ht_3065wt_908

As it is only x1, i would maybe like a lane splitter to hook up some more harddrives to the server once i get the disks i have filled to the brim with movies - does that exsist? - i only get power splitters

More
19 Nov 2010 23:08 #5452 by andypugh
Anima wrote:

Perhaps i can just install KDE on top of gnome.. That should work, right?

I think it should, yes.

Regarding the Serial port.. is this one ok?
cgi.ebay.com/2-RS232-Serial-Port-PCI-E-E...6b2589#ht_3065wt_908

No completely wrong!

You do _not_ want a serial board. You need a parallel port.
Something like this, probably
cgi.ebay.co.uk/PCI-Express-PCIe-Parallel...rofile-/220504948021

There are others similar to the one you showed which have both serial and parallel, and they might work OK too.

But you want the 25 way D-connector port.

More
19 Nov 2010 23:13 #5453 by Anima
Thanks man. I must have read it wrong - i was sure it was a serial port:blush:

Thanks for the help. I really appreciate it.

Time to create page: 0.134 seconds