Lathe axis "positions" - warning stupid beginner ?

More
21 Nov 2010 20:11 #5497 by yugami
Starting to play around with my little lathe and I noticed that if I set Z to 0 (home) at the chuck moving to the tail is negative.

so my guess is that 0 is the far limit of the bed in CNC parlance (or my lathe is backwards)

Where should X and Z home be in relation to the center of the bed and the chuck?

This is the lathe in question:

maxnc.com/t2_cl.htm

There's a limit switch at the end of the bed and by the motor (far side of the picture) are the limit switches 0,0?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Nov 2010 20:34 #5498 by BigJohnT
Typically a lathe with front tooling the machine Z0 is to the far right and X0 is to the front with the spindle on the left. Pressing +Z should make the tool move away from the spindle and pressing +X should make the tool move toward the front of the lathe. This makes the imaginary Y positive below the lathe. It is important to know that when your programming arcs. With a lathe like yours you will have to touch off the tool each time you put one on I assume.

In the subroutine section there are some subroutines written for a lathe to make simple operations a snap without any programming.

John

More
22 Nov 2010 02:51 #5517 by yugami
Thanks again John, I glanced at and, will read more in depth, the subroutine stuff. I installed the program earlier today.

The lathe cross slide can hold multiple tool holders, I'm gathering from what I can tell that their software took coordinates to enact "tool changes" (assuming no tailstock) This is all a guess but I'm guessing on toolchange it cleared the stock moved the X forward and reset the perceived 0.

Again this is all a guess as there's not a lot of information on these lathes out there. The Max-nc user group seems to be 99.9% mill related and some tiny bit of old lathe info.

I just need this to make a few pre-programed parts once I figure out all the programming. The turning down to size subroutine will be a big help.

More
22 Nov 2010 12:47 #5530 by andypugh
Lathes generally get use bigger Z numbers as you get further from the chuck, so if you zero the axis at the chuck face then face off at 6" you will have a 6" bar.

Quite often you will zero at the tailstock end of the material, and all Z values in the G-code will be negative, becoming more negative as you get closer to the chuck.

In G7 (lathe) mode the X value measures diameter directly. This saves a fair bit of mental arithmetic in general use, but can cause a bit of confusion when programming arcs.

More
22 Nov 2010 13:20 #5532 by BigJohnT
I looked again at the photo and I see where you can set up multiple tools on the slide. Once you touch off each tool you can use the manual tool change window to change tools.

The way I touch off is to change to G55 (so no work offsets are in effect) and using a dowel I touch off the Z for each tool on the spindle face. I move the tip close enough so the dowel won't roll between the slowly back away till it does. Then I touch off the X on some material in the spindle that I have turned and measured and enter the diameter or radius (depends on which mode your in). Then I go back to the G54 and take any tool (after loading it with Tn M6 then G43) and touch off (G54) the Z of the work piece. This places all the tools Z offset in sync. After setting up tools I do a chicken check to make sure when I select a tool the tip position is where I think it should be as a few times I have messed it up by touching off X instead of Z etc. just being in a hurry.

John

More
22 Nov 2010 14:16 #5535 by yugami
Follow up dumb question:

If I reverse the pins that the phases are connected to (step type 2) will that change the direction the motor turns, changing how the axis respond?

More
22 Nov 2010 14:26 #5536 by andypugh
Just change the sign of the scale in the ini file.

More
29 Nov 2010 18:20 #5740 by yugami
I used Geometry in the Display section with X-Z and now when I go Minus it moves along the correct path (per the image) but still goes negative.

More
29 Nov 2010 19:01 #5742 by andypugh
I meant that you should change the scale of the stepgen in the relevant [AXIS_N] section of the INI file.

More
29 Nov 2010 19:27 #5744 by yugami
I'm afraid I can't find any documentation on this variable. I do see that I have one in my INI file, but the Integrators manual doesn't seem to cover what it means.

Do you mean just to put a negative in front of the number?

Time to create page: 0.156 seconds