parallel port

More
25 Nov 2010 21:18 #5618 by andradela
parallel port was created by andradela
HI, anybody knows if is possible to use two parallel ports with a emc2, one will be used to control step motors and another will be used as I/O by classic ladder?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Nov 2010 00:28 #5621 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Re:parallel port
Yes. EMC2 can handle as many parallel ports as your motherboard can cope with.

However, consider a Mesa 7i43 instead, which plugs into the parallel port and gives you 48 IO pins. It does step-generation and PWM etc on-board. Cost is around $80.

Some idea how to use it will be found here. www.linuxcnc.org/docview/html//drivers_hostmot2.html

More
26 Nov 2010 08:39 #5622 by Mike_Eitel
Replied by Mike_Eitel on topic Re:parallel port
Hi Andradela

Here some text snipes I copied in to a file that I hope to find it next time :-( .

Error when starting EMC:

insmod: error inserting '/home/jepler/src/emc2/rtlib/hal_parport.ko': -1 Device or resource busy

If you encounter this problem, you must make sure that the Linux kernel module parport_pc is not loaded at boot time.
On Ubuntu systems, you can do this by creating a file in /etc/modprobe.d/ with the one line

install parport_pc /bin/true

The EMC2 packages put this line in the file /etc/modprobe.d/emc2.

EMC appears to start, but no signals ever appear on the parallel port (the motors don't turn).
Add the following command before the line loading hal_parport in your hal file.

loadrt probe_parport

The Linux parallel port driver must be completely disabled for EMC's hal_parport driver to load.
However, as we learned after the release of 2.0.1, this disabled certain parallel ports that are "PNP" (plug and play) devices.
The new probe_parport realtime module performs the probing for one type of PNP port.

Mike

Time to create page: 0.232 seconds