What Do I Need?

More
29 Nov 2010 15:36 #5729 by Kang
What Do I Need? was created by Kang
I have a milling machine that I want to convert to cnc. I need to know what software do I need to create a complete open source fully functional free cad cam package. I will build the computer to suit the software, that is no prob. i will build the cnc hardware to suit the software, no prob. I just can not find any info in my many days of searching to create a complete usable software package. Can anyone advise me. I will ask these questions at this moment, 1 does emc output to a parallel port that I can connect a STEPPER MOTOR controller card to? (I will be using stepper motors) 2 What open source app can I use to create the Gcode to input to EMC? 3 What open source cad app can I use to create the blueprint and dxf file for the part (part as in the piece of steel that I will create on the milling machine). It appears that I need to create a dxf file and that is then converted to Gcode. Also it appears that I need Ubuntu 10.04 as the os on the computer to run EMC. One question about the computer hardware, I bet the computer needs to have a graphics card to function properly to use 3d cad, correct? Just wondering because I want to build a small low power computer just for this job. TYVM

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Nov 2010 16:22 #5733 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Re:What Do I Need?
Kang wrote:

1 does emc output to a parallel port that I can connect a STEPPER MOTOR controller card to?

Yes, and in pretty much any way that you can imagine.

2 What open source app can I use to create the Gcode to input to EMC?

You can do an awful lot of G-code stuff using a text editor. The EMC2 dialect of G-code includes loops and condtionals that can make for quite efficient hand coding. The only free, open-source CAM package I know of is HeeksCNC (which has quite close ties to the EMC2 project)

3 What open source cad app can I use to create the blueprint and dxf file for the part (part as in the piece of steel that I will create on the milling machine).

HeeksCAD is an option, though you could probably use Inkscape or Blender or....

It appears that I need to create a dxf file and that is then converted to Gcode.

That is only one work path, and for such 2D work hand-coding is possibly as easy.

it appears that I need Ubuntu 10.04 as the os on the computer to run EMC.

No, EMC2 runs happily on 8.04 and possibly still runs on 6.n.

One question about the computer hardware, I bet the computer needs to have a graphics card to function properly to use 3d cad, correct? Just wondering because I want to build a small low power computer just for this job. TYVM

To use 3D-CAD then yes, probably. To run EMC2 then definitely not, and in fact high-spec graphics cards can be a problem as the hraphics drivers can introduce latency problems. One of the best platforms for running EMC2 is the Intel D510MO mini-ITX board which costs about $60, has excellent latency and allows you to build a low-powered passively-cooled system.
There is a lot to be said for not trying to use your CNC controller for other stuff, you might like to consider using a SFF board like the D510MO for the EMC2 machine, and having a separate workstation for the 3D CAD work. (somewhere warm and comfortable).

More
29 Nov 2010 17:41 #5737 by Kang
Replied by Kang on topic Re:What Do I Need?
Wow, tyvm for the great reply. I am so lucky, I had just purchased a Intel D510MO because I heard Linux would run well on it and I wanted a low power low heat board. I have just received a test bench case and I will begin the project today. This mobo will be great on the milling machine as it will be easy to make an enclosure that is possibly air tight to the dirty machine shop environment. I will use a separate computer for the graphics cad end and I have a spare ASUS M4A88T-V EVO/USB3 with an AMD Phenom-2 X4 925 processor. I hope this will work on the CAD end. It surely is more than I need, but I have it already and will use it if can. I have no prob getting something else though if more suitable.

Time to create page: 0.253 seconds