10.04 + intel atom d510 serious latency problem

• floc
  • floc's Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
14 Feb 2011 00:36 #7176 by floc
Hi im running the new 10.04 live cd on intel atom d510 hardware, and having some serious latency problems. the latency-test gives me a max jitter of more than 600000 ns.
I read that several people are successfully running emc with the d510 atom boards. Do you have to compile a custom configured rtai kernel to get it running or should the smp support of the kernel from the 10.04 livecd be working?
already tried to disable one cpu-core and tried several bios configs with no result. grafix card is nvidia wich is not optimal but should not be the main problem.

Thanks for any help!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Feb 2011 02:12 #7177 by PCW
Try it without the nvidia and use the on board video, the nvidia is most likely the problem....

More
14 Feb 2011 08:03 #7179 by andypugh
I am using a D510MO board with a standard liveCD installation, and it works brilliantly. The main difference is that I am using onboard video. Is there a compelling reason that this won't work for you? (A DVI-only monitor, for example?)

• floc
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
14 Feb 2011 11:52 #7180 by floc
ok ripped out the nvidia card and it has absolutely no effect :( still up to 600000 ns latency...
. when i reset the latency test it states about 2000ns but after 2seconds back to 600000 again.. al the time
.. kind of frustrating
any other reason that could cause that? tried to disable the smi feature but that causes severeal rtai modules not to load so i guess that smi plays no role on atom chipsets?
any other tips?
thanks again

More
14 Feb 2011 13:54 #7181 by andypugh
I am baffled. That board has been the most-recommended one for EMC2 use for a while now, because the latency is so good.

If it is for a dedicated EMC2 machine, I would be tempted to do a full wipe and reinstall from the LiveCD, without the graphics card installed. It is just possible that the machine is still using the Nvidia drivers.

More
14 Feb 2011 15:43 #7184 by PCW
Can you report the exact model motherboard? that might help. What peripherals are attached?
some USB drives may cause latency problems, a failing harddrive can do this as well.

• floc
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
14 Feb 2011 18:47 #7186 by floc
Its a POINT OF VIEW Micro ATX Intel Atom D410/D510 Mainboard 1.6Ghz, 2gig ram, SATA HD, PCI Paralelport Card. The harddrive should be Ok as iam already running XP a couple of weeks with no problems..
Making a fresh lucid install from livecd right now... we'll see if that will do it.
thanks for the quick response of you guys.

• floc
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
14 Feb 2011 18:59 #7187 by floc
ok fresh install without grafixcard.. same problem! exactly the same values :(
i think im also going to take out the parallelport card..

• floc
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
14 Feb 2011 19:09 #7188 by floc
ok even with extracted paralelportcard still the same problem

More
14 Feb 2011 20:10 #7189 by toplakd
floc wrote:

I read that several people are successfully running emc with the d510 atom boards.

I read that to, but with Intel brand boards.

Dejan

Time to create page: 0.236 seconds