5 axis Build

More
17 Feb 2011 20:21 #7292 by jimmy111
5 axis Build was created by jimmy111
I have a Bridgeport VMC with a Fanuc 18i. It is a 5 axis machine with a trunnion and rotary table. It has Yaskawa a/c brushless motors and drives. The machine has less than 140 hours on it since new. It was used to make a high precision special part for a company. But the controller got damaged by a forklift and I am thinking about building my own controler using the existing servos and drives. Ive had a few people looking at replacing the controller and the price shocked me.

Ive been searching for this type of conversion on the forum and there doesent seem to be any like it that I can find. Anyone know of any that they can point me to?

I have the money and time to do this right now due to low work load so Ill document the build here for others who are interested.

Any recomendations to hardware would be greatly appreciated :D

Thanks
Jim

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Feb 2011 22:25 #7295 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Re:5 axis Build
jimmy111 wrote:

the controller got damaged by a forklift and I am thinking about building my own controler using the existing servos and drives.

Sounds like a straightforward conversion. Do you know if the drives are +/- 10V controlled?
You could _probably_ get it working with nothing more than a parallel port and some capacitors and resistors. But the more you add, the better it will be, up to a point.
I think the sensible choice would be to look at Mesa (www.mesanet.com) and Pico (www.pico-systems.com/) There are many, many, other suppliers but those two are well integrated into EMC2 and are both active in the mailing lists and forums.
What you are planning is similar to many other retrofits: wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/emcinfo.pl?Case_Studies

More
17 Feb 2011 23:14 #7297 by jimmy111
Replied by jimmy111 on topic Re:5 axis Build
Thanks for the reply. :D
Yes, the drives can be controlled by +-10.
They are pretty good drives. I have them on other machines and they can control position, velocity and torque.
I was looking at something like the 5I22 from mesa and a PCI bussed computer that I already have. Im sure it will be more complicated than you say. There are many limits and other such components to find and wire. But sure beats junking the machine and Im sure ill learn quite a bit in the process.

More
18 Feb 2011 00:20 #7298 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic Re:5 axis Build
A 5i22 with a couple of 7i33TA's for up to 8 axis and a couple of 7i37TA's for I/O with 16 out and 32 inputs should cover most machines unless you have a huge number of I/O.

Do your axes have encoder feedback?

Sounds like a straight forward conversion ATM.

John

More
18 Feb 2011 00:50 #7299 by jimmy111
Yes, the there are encoders.
I had pretty much the same hardware list. Ill call Mesa tomorrow and see what I need to put it together.
Jim

More
18 Feb 2011 07:48 #7301 by andypugh
jimmy111 wrote:

I was looking at something like the 5I22 from mesa and a PCI bussed computer that I already have

My shopping list would be:
Intel D510MO Mini-ITX Motherboard, 80W PicoPSU, 8GB SSD (probably SATA DOM)
Mesa 5i23 (cheaper than 5i22, better than 5i20 unless you are sure you need 96 IO rather than 72)
Mesa 7i33 Servo interface
7i37TA interface card (possibly two)

Actually, that's not entirely true, I am tight-fisted enough to build my own plug-ins for the FPGA cards, but that shopping list should Just Work.

pncconf should get you a fair way to a working system and configuration inside a few hours.

More
18 Feb 2011 12:00 #7307 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic Re:5 axis Build
With a 5 axis machine and a spindle I'd think you would run out of places to plug things in with 6 drives to control with a 5i20 or 5i23.

John

More
18 Feb 2011 13:17 #7308 by andypugh
You would have to count, I guess.
You would need two of the Servo cards, but the unused pins from channels 6, 7 and 8 are available as GPIO, and the 8 + 16 (?) pins might be enough.
(Using the unused channels from the servo card would need a split ribbon cable, but can be done)

More
18 Feb 2011 13:46 #7309 by jimmy111
Yes, There is lots of IO. Im going to try to identify it today. There is also the issue of the ATC, Cooling and lighting.

What is the purpose of the SSD? Additional memory for the FPGA? Or is it in lieu of a PC?

More
18 Feb 2011 14:02 #7310 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic Re:5 axis Build
I would use a 7I48 instead of 2 7I33s to get 6 axis of servo interface on one connector, leaving more I/O free. Only disadvantage is that you need to use EMC2 master (2.5pre) to support 7I48

Time to create page: 0.088 seconds