Stepconf Wizards works well, Axis doesn't ??

More
27 Feb 2011 05:09 #7482 by michagrau
Hello, I am new here

and configuring EMC2 for the first time. I did work with Mach3 and other softwares before.

I am very puzzled: I can't get AXIS running. In the stepconf wizard I was able to adjust everything so that when I go to the Axis configuration panel and hit the "Test this Axis" button my motors start humming and spinning as expected. Promising.

So I finish the wizard and start AXIS. When it starts up the motors stop humming, still as expected as AXIS starts into OFF-mode. Now I turn the system on. In the lower left corner I can read ON, with the arrow keys I can change the coordinate values. But there is neither humming noise nor any movement of the axes. Interesting is that I can turn the spindle on and off, that works. Also I found that the LEDs of my controller board are indicating that it receives step-pulses from the computer. What is going on, why is nothing moving after it did in the wizard and after the spindle works and after I can even see the step-pulses arriving at the control board?

I must have missed something and feel very stupid but can't figure it out.

What might this be?

best regards.

Michael

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Feb 2011 06:40 #7483 by cmorley
You don't give us enough info to really help.
Does your setup use a charge pump?
can you post the INI and HAL files.
What version of EMC are you using?
Can't be too much wrong .....:)

More
27 Feb 2011 11:12 #7484 by BigJohnT
How did you try to move the axis?

John

More
27 Feb 2011 17:52 #7495 by andypugh
Have you made the motors run in stepconf with them all connected and powered? I am wondering if they are all enabled on the same p-port pin, and that does not have the current capacity to enable all the drives at the same time?

More
28 Feb 2011 01:18 #7500 by michagrau
Problem solved.

Chris left me wondering what a charge pump may be. I found the term in the list of possible pin functions in Stepconf wizard. In Mach3 there I did not only configure two pins for step and direction but also a third pin that somehow "enabled" the motor. Did not find such a thing in the wizard and left that pin "Unused" and inverted it, that allowed the wizard to test the axis.

With "ChargePump" on those pins everything works fine now.

Thanks a lot!

Michael

Time to create page: 0.086 seconds