Configuration Selector

More
10 Mar 2011 17:49 #7696 by francium15
Hello

I'm working on making my first CNC out of bits i have laying around. I DO NOT have my machine fully built yet, but i mam trying to simultaneously get the software figured out before i make a big investment. Basically i am using Google sketch-up as my CAD, Cambam (2d) and Meshcam (3d) as my CAM programs, and finally i have the live cd of EMC2 for the machine control.

so far i have successfully generated some g-code and tool paths using my CAM. However i have finally got the live cd to run right but i do not know what configuration to select after opening EMC2 from the applications tab. i have tried a few random ones but i always get the same error report.

i am using old printer motors and threaded rod for my machine and will connect them to my computer with this driver board ( www.hobbycnc.com/products/hobbycnc-ez-driver-board-kit/ ).

so my main questions are

1. Do i need my CNC machine fully built and wired for EMC2 to run?

2. When i create my g code and tool paths on windows do i need to save them in a specific place or as a specific file type so that they will open in EMC2?

3. what exactly are the configuration selections and why are there so many? i am not the best with computers and am struggling with the software portion of this project.

Thanks
Cole

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Mar 2011 18:06 #7698 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic Re:Configuration Selector
1 No

2 The g code file should end in .ngc and be a text file (no word processor).

3 Each configuration is for some specific hardware or application. I suggest you start with the Axis sim in the sim area.

John

More
10 Mar 2011 18:15 #7701 by francium15
i still got that "EMC2 Error" its a lengthy report. Most of it says "waiting for s.axes"

i am on a laptop and know that its not the best to use but its what i got, like i said i dont want to make a big investment till i get the software running.

is there a post on the forums about specific updates that may need to be made? i think i read something about video updates... i am not for sure tho?

More
10 Mar 2011 19:39 #7703 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic Re:Configuration Selector
There is a 99% chance you won't get your system to work with a laptop without loosing steps due to laptops energy saving hardware that give them terrible latency.

Have you run a latency test?

The waiting for s.axis is usually a result of using a 2.3 config on 2.4

wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/emcinfo.pl?UPDATING#emc_nml_changes

The software works... thousands use it and I think one clever gentleman has gotten a laptop to work somewhat.

When you have an error post a pastebin link of it or attach a text file containing the complete error.

Usually one doesn't have to update anything after installing the LiveCD beyond normal updates that the synaptic package manager suggests.

How did you install EMC?

John

Time to create page: 0.082 seconds