EMC2 is great! Next project: CAM ??

More
19 Mar 2011 03:14 #7932 by AssassinXCV
EMC2 is a fantastic program for everyone, especially hobbyists. I was wondering if this team was going to work on making an open source FULL 3D CAM program?
I find that the opensourced CAM programs that i've found just dont seem to really cut it, no offense. (i can't even imagine how difficult it would be to create a program like that) I am greatful though that people have contributed free CAM software.

What do you think? Would it be something that could be done in the near future?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Mar 2011 08:33 #7934 by Rick G
Have you looked at heekscad?

code.google.com/p/heekscad/

Rick G

More
19 Mar 2011 08:45 #7935 by AssassinXCV
cool, i didnt know that heeks CAD made g-code.

More
19 Mar 2011 23:28 #7940 by andypugh
AssassinXCV wrote:

(i can't even imagine how difficult it would be to create a program like that)

Quite a bit harder than EMC2, in some ways.

Many of the same coders are working on the HeeksCNC add-in to HeeksCAD. (Though I have heard it now works stand-alone too)

code.google.com/p/heekscnc/

More
20 Mar 2011 01:23 - 20 Mar 2011 01:25 #7943 by AssassinXCV
wow this is great!! Opensource FTW!

but seriously, i think that EMC2 IS WAY better than MACH3. I haven't even got Mach3 to run the gcode, too many errors pop up talking about spindle not being on, and the emergency stop keeps turning on and i have to un-push the "button".

EMC2 is so simple, just load the gcode, EMC2 shows the tool path, Home all the axises, and then just push start.

One more question: If the zero for my gcode is set to the middle for x and y of the material, and z is at the top of the material, and i MANUALLY move the cutter to that point. if i click on the homing for all the axi, will EMC2 Move my machine? or is it that HOMING just that if i pause it during the milling, and click HOME, then it will just move the tool to ZERO?

^hope that makes sense. sorry if this answer is somewhere in the wiki for emc2, i haven't really read much of it.
Last edit: 20 Mar 2011 01:25 by AssassinXCV.

More
20 Mar 2011 02:25 #7946 by andypugh
AssassinXCV wrote:

One more question: If the zero for my gcode is set to the middle for x and y of the material, and z is at the top of the material, and i MANUALLY move the cutter to that point. if i click on the homing for all the axi, will EMC2 Move my machine?

Yes. Home means "drive all axes to the home switch"
If you don't have home switches, then it will probably do what you want to an extent. The problem is that it will zero the machine (G53) coordinates, so you probably won't be able to go to negative X, Y or Z. (this does depend on the axis limits, though)

In general what you would do is jog as you describe, then "touch" off the axes using the "touch off" button. This zeros the selected axis in the working coordinate system.

Coordinate systems are quite a complex subject, try reading these docs:
linuxcnc.org/docs/html/gcode_coordinates.html
wiki.linuxcnc.org/emcinfo.pl?CoordinateSystems

Then perhaps look at the G10 code here:
www.linuxcnc.org/docs/html/gcode_main.ht...:G10:-Set-Coordinate

More
20 Mar 2011 04:55 - 20 Mar 2011 04:55 #7947 by AssassinXCV
Well, i guess i've got some reading to do. Thanks
Last edit: 20 Mar 2011 04:55 by AssassinXCV.

More
20 Mar 2011 13:08 #7948 by BigJohnT
For a machine without homing switches one method is to set up some match marks for each axis and on start up jog each axis to the match mark then "home" it. This way your soft limits will work.

To touch off on a work piece one method is to use an edge finder to find and touch off the X and Y edges of the work piece and using a dowel to "find" the Z top. For example if you have a 0.375 diameter dowel and you lower the Z axis tool edge to below the top of the dowel and slowly raise it up till the dowel just rolls under then you set the work offset to 0.375 for Z. In the beginning there are more ways to screw up touch off than not so move to a position and verify the tool is where you expect it to be.

For me usually the back edge is Y0 and the left edge is X0 and the top is Z0 of a piece of material but sometimes the Z is different depending on the job and how the cam was done.

John

More
20 Mar 2011 19:36 - 20 Mar 2011 20:11 #7950 by AssassinXCV
This may be repeating what i said before,

In the CAM Software, when i'm making the gcode, i set the ZERO to be the middle of the x and y, and the Z axis is on top of the material. To set everything up, i'd manually move the mill so that the cutting tool is at that spot. I dont have any homing switches, or limit switches (i odnt want to use them, and i dont have to worry about crashing because i wont be milling objects the size of the travel yet; can worry about it later).

This might be wrong, but this is what i want the procedure to be:

Make the g-code with the "zero" at the middle of the material for x and y, and the top of material for z.
Place material on mill
Manually position the cutting bit
Make EMC2 set the current position it is in, as "zero"
Start processing the g-code; when it reads the code to go to -1x, it literally moves to cutter 1 inch to the left

|....................................................| Dots are just because spaces would collapse after saving this post
|....................................................|

Im going to load up EMC and see where it goes when i press Home. I haven't used it in a bit so i guess i have forgotten some important parts.

Thanks.

EDIT: Okay, so i tested it out with a g-code file that had the Zero set to the middle and top. When i homed all the axi it moved EMC's Cutter to that Location. Will that also send data to my driver board and move the machine? Or is it just moving EMC's Virtual tool that's on the screen?
Last edit: 20 Mar 2011 20:11 by AssassinXCV.

More
20 Mar 2011 20:02 #7951 by BigJohnT
If you don't have homing set up when you press home it sets the current position as 0 for that axis.

John

Time to create page: 0.087 seconds