additive offset error

More
01 Apr 2011 23:44 #8378 by M4MazakUser
Well...... i seem to have found a software error.
my mazak has twin turrets, and therefore has some tools on the negative side, and some on the positive side. i noticed that before one of the last patches, my rear turret tools couldn't have an offset value with more than one decimal place, (eg 456.1 -tis a long way between turrets). this changed with one of the previous patches. -But ever since i have occasionally had problems that i thought was the "X" axis encoder count going bad. ie. every part i ran shifted the axis a little. till today, when i noticed that if i limit all rear turret offsets to two decimal places, it stops creeping.

anyone else had this?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Apr 2011 10:39 #8390 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic Re:additive offset error
What version of EMC are you running?

John

More
03 Apr 2011 11:26 #8414 by M4MazakUser
im using the latest stable version, doing lotsa overtime at the moment, but ill check the repeatability of this in a couple of days time.
ill also check the math (if the values add up.)

basicly when i limited the rear offsetts to two decimal places (out of sheer desperation, and some straw clutching) the error stopped.

so, a brief description,

im running a program that uses 5 tools in the rear turret, and 7 front turret tools.

when i ran it, on every run the x axis grew by 0.1mm.

(the part was larger)

if i re zeroed the x axis i was back to my first turning size.

i have no usb thumb drives inserted, and all screensavers/sleep modes are disabled.

upon changing the rear turret offsets to two decimal places (0.00) the error stopped.

the offsets were set using the touch off button on the axis screen, and were 5 decimal places long. (0,00000)

otherwise the ol' mazak (1984 model) has been doing 12 hr days for the last coupla weeks (bar feeding parts) much better than the old T1 control!

ill report back on this when i have some time, -changing setups in two days probably.

thanks!

More
03 Apr 2011 16:52 #8417 by BigJohnT
Can you tell me the version number as there are two "latest stable versions".

Does the DRO show the 0.1mm change for each part?

I need to be able to reproduce this on the same version sim if possible.

A developer commented "I can't think of any way that this could be the true cause" but I assume it is remotely possible somehow.

John

More
03 Apr 2011 20:41 #8424 by M4MazakUser
synaptic says 1:2.4.6

More
03 Apr 2011 20:46 #8425 by M4MazakUser
and the dro dosent change, but the axis shifts, -only detectable by measuring the parts.
but the size increased by 0.1mm every run. (0.08~0.12) i havent had time to do a proper test yet -our welders are waiting on the parts im making :p

More
04 Apr 2011 10:47 #8457 by BigJohnT
I'm sorry I meant the version of EMC like 2.4.6.

That does sound like a mechanical issue like an encoder or something. Let us know what you find out.

John

More
04 Apr 2011 19:11 #8520 by M4MazakUser
oh -2.4.6

and yes, i expected it to be a mech error, i should be able to to try to reproduce it today. i did find out that the operator had a usb thumb drive in use at the time, but no errors were being reported.....

More
06 Apr 2011 01:56 #8627 by M4MazakUser
hmmm.....

so i had an error of 0.03 adding to x on every part for the last 20 mins. (not great on a 1min cycle time on a barfed job) if i homed x it would reset the error, i don't believe there is somthing loose -as i went thru all the mechanicals of this mc during its retrofit...

after 20mins now, all is well, so i geuss i betta check that x axis ...

maybe after this job run..... -next week.

More
06 Apr 2011 22:47 #8663 by M4MazakUser
just checked out the encoder mounting, and all is as it should be- but if i slow the rapid traverse rate the error stops... looks like it is a counter/card/read speed issue..

more on this later......

Time to create page: 0.510 seconds