Joint following error

More
06 Apr 2011 08:36 #8631 by wwr
Replied by wwr on topic Re:Joint following error
I've put the old harddrive back about an hour ago. The machine is still running without any errors. I started a test ngc file and let it run for 15 minutes.
It is definitely a software issue. I'll try the latest version now.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Apr 2011 09:31 #8633 by wwr
The update didn't solve it, however now it took 12 minutes to produce the error.

More
06 Apr 2011 10:43 #8635 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Re:Joint following error
This is pretty weird.

Quadrature encoders should be very resilient to noise in the wires (as unless the noise is exactly right in both lines, it just causes a count-up followed by a count-down.)

How many encoder counts does the sudden offset correspond to? (encoder scale x axis offfset).

More
06 Apr 2011 11:05 #8636 by wwr
The scale is 2000 and the coords jump about 300000 mms so it is 600M in encoder counts.
This is impossible to be electrical noise.

More
06 Apr 2011 12:49 - 06 Apr 2011 12:57 #8643 by andypugh
Yes, definitely not noise I would say.

Also, not an obvious counter-wrap (65535 counts, 32768, 2147483647....)

I wonder if there is a glitch in your motenc firmware?

The history of the emc2 motenc driver is here:
git.linuxcnc.org/gitweb?p=emc2.git;a=his...deb3db5a5a368f9d82a1

Nothing I have looked at so far looks like a likely culprit. (do you know the release date of your working emc2 version?)
Last edit: 06 Apr 2011 12:57 by andypugh.

More
07 Apr 2011 13:24 #8676 by wwr
Sorry but i don't remember the release date.
I checked the motenc driver's history and i don't see anithing suspicious.

I noticed that the rate of the sudden offset is always different. From 60 to 300000.

More
07 Apr 2011 13:49 #8678 by andypugh
Can you set up a halscope in single shot, triggered off of the Motenc encoder output value (as "close" as possible to the driver). It might be instructive to see if the value jumps to the new value, or ramps there.

Actually, to rewind a bit, can you trace back the offset in Machine->show-hal-config? You should be able to go back up the HAL chain from axis.N.position and see where the offset appears. I have been assuming that it is in the
motenc.<board>.enc-<channel>-count and motenc.<board>.enc-<channel>-position values. But we have no evidence of that yet.

More
18 Apr 2011 10:02 #9033 by wwr
Sorry for the long delay.

I managed to catch the error with the halscope, although it was quite hard because the scope triggered off on any count.
You can see a screenshot here: sztaki.hu/~paniti/Screenshot-1.png

After all it does offset to a counter-wrap, but it wasn't obvious for me at first sight. Today it was 131072, 524288 and 32768.

More
18 Apr 2011 11:15 #9040 by andypugh
I am actually rather confused, as the wrap you see is a 16-bit wrap, and the motenc encoders (and the HAL driver) are all 32 bits wide.

If you re-plot that Halscope trace so that the step-change is visible (with the slider on the right) it probably ought to be submitted to the bug-tracker at sourceforge.net/tracker/?atid=106744&group_id=6744&func=browse

If the step is as instant as it looks on that trace then it has to be a software problem, but whether it is with emc2 or with motenc is not clear.

The HAL driver seems to export the encoder value read from the Motenc card pretty much unmodified, so I do actually suspect the Motenc. (Also, if they all did this, surely we would have heard by now?)

It might be worth contacting Motenc, the one time I emailed them they were pretty responsive.

Time to create page: 0.124 seconds