Tool Table setup with angled bits

More
28 Apr 2011 04:58 #9439 by UbuntuNinja
Hello all, I am relatively new to EMC2 and CNC stuff in general but I love it so far. I have several questions relating to setting up a tool table. I have a Fireball V90 CNC from Probotix that I am using with a Bosch router. The router has some angled bits (v-bits, etc.) that I would like to be able to use and I also have some angled bits I got from www.drewtronics.net specifically for making PCB boards. How do I enter these tools into the EMC2 tool table in a way so that EMC2 will know that they are angled and not just regular end mills? Also, when entering regular end mills, I am trying to follow this guide: wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/emcinfo.pl?ToolTable but in the actual EMC2 tool table wizard there is no parameter for length just a field that says "z". I assume this is to be treated as the length value? And finally, is there a way to set a maximum feed rate for specific bits?

Thank you,
UbuntuNinja

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Apr 2011 05:41 - 28 Apr 2011 05:42 #9440 by stevec
I'm no cnc expert but I do a lot of pcb routing and I think it makes no difference to EMC2 what shape the pcb router bit is, all of the important stuff is done by the software that converts the pcb file to G Code.

The most important part for routing a board is to get the pcb as flat as possible on the router table and to zero the Z axis tip of the v-bit exactly on the surface of the board.

An experiment with different angle bits and cut depths will soon find a working formula. Once you have got it don't change it :)
Last edit: 28 Apr 2011 05:42 by stevec.

More
28 Apr 2011 11:49 #9454 by BigJohnT
While there is a wealth of information on the wiki unfortunately some of the material on the community maintained wiki is dated material. You should always refer to the manual first for information about EMC.

www.linuxcnc.org/docview/html/gcode_tool_compensation.html

The angle of the bit won't make any difference to EMC just the tip diameter.

There is no way to set a speed limit for an individual tool that is the job of the post processor and the programmer.

John

Time to create page: 0.114 seconds