Can EMC2 open without a machine plugged in

More
06 May 2011 06:46 #9626 by K3Craig
Good god that is one big error......I'm sorry for posting such an inane amount of crap.....

John,
We bought a new computer today to run the mill, and like a jackass, i bought one with on board video. Duh! However, we were able to get an older version of linux and EMC to run on it, and simply are just happy to get the thing rolling. Now the concern is, what software, (like lazycam, or python) to get to convert DXF or DWG files to g-code and run through EMC....i really thank you for your time, and willingness to answer my questions! Send me an address and I'll send a box of doughnuts! Things aren't perfect yet, but we are way further on our quest.....thanks so much!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 May 2011 16:11 #9627 by BigJohnT
This page has most of the cam software known to the EMC community.

wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/emcinfo.pl?Cam

I've heard but not used dxf2cam and others work... just depends on your needs and what your milling. You might want to look at the simple g code generators on the wiki as well. Unless you are doing mold work or complex profiles usually using subroutines with ngcgui is the fastest way to get from print to chips.

I use OneCNC $$$ software for my mill when I need to but other wise I just type it in as it saves time to use canned cycles and subroutines.

Many guys use a D510MO for EMC and it has built in video and it usually only $80 or so.

If you want I can delete the insane amount of crap :)

John

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.194 seconds