Any used a Mac for development?

More
25 Aug 2015 18:14 #61780 by racedirector
A question has been been on my mind and that is has anyone developed a GUI on a Mac. I found Glade available for my Yosemite install but my problem is how to get the LinuxCNC glade components onto the mac to use in the development. SO I am here asking the question :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Sep 2015 18:08 #62240 by andypugh
I do all my LinuxCNC development sat at a Mac, though I use a combination of virtual machines and real headless Linux machines on the network for running actual code.

(I use Eclipse and keep the git repository on my Mac, the other machine NFS-mount the git repository and compile locally)

A glade file created on the Mac ought to work in Linux. You might need to change the end-of-line character.
The following user(s) said Thank You: racedirector

More
08 Sep 2015 18:49 #62246 by racedirector
Thanks Andy, I will try it then. I currently have virtualbox running on my Mac but Glade keeps crapping out on that which is frustrating. I even have the virtual machine with half of my memory allocated (16GB total) and it makes no diifference.

More
08 Sep 2015 18:52 #62248 by andypugh

Thanks Andy, I will try it then. I currently have virtualbox running on my Mac but Glade keeps crapping out on that

I use VMWare Fusion, and run actual realtime kernels (with _horrible_ latency). It might be worth a look, though it does cost money.
The following user(s) said Thank You: racedirector

More
08 Sep 2015 19:45 #62263 by racedirector
I have downloaded and installed Fusion Pro 8 for a 30 day trial. If it works out better than Virtualbox I'll shell out the dollars to buy it

More
09 Sep 2015 06:38 #62293 by phillc54
It may be a Glade feature rather than a Virtualbox issue.

I find that Glade on my Mac/Virtualbox machine dies less often than my Linux/Virtualbox or real Linux machines.

<www.linuxcnc.org/index.php/english/forum...ithout-warning#61910>

Time to create page: 0.120 seconds