Spindle index-enable for threading repeat passes.

More
24 Oct 2011 12:08 #14162 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Re:More testing...
NICKKINSMAN wrote:

On Hal Meter, pin 29 in (spindle index in my case) the value comes up as 'FALSE' to start with and I was able to watch it switch to 'TRUE' when hitting the index mark. The problem is it does not seem to do this consistently - I can get it to swap back and forth if I move it VERY slowly back and forth over the index mark, but at even a slow (20 RPM) continuous speed it does not seem to pick it up (or at least show it) except occasionally.

HAL meter is rather slow updating, so not ideal for this.

I ran the Hal Scope to check it out. Monitoring pin 29, it starts low, and seems to be getting a signal every time - it jumps up by one division each revolution, even at fast speeds (I ran it at 500 RPM). If I turn it very slowly the jumps are much longer on the X axis, and if very fast they are just lines, but still there - and they jump fully 1 division vertically on the scope each time, even at 500 RPM. So in this case I don't think this is an invert problem, and it seems to be putting out signal at each revoluiton, so why is EMC not getting/using that signal?

A very good question. It sounds like the hardware is working correctly.
[/quote]
You can run Halscope alongside EMC2, it might be instructive to monitor index-enable and pin 29 at the same time during a threading cycle.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Oct 2011 12:12 #14164 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Re:More testing...
One thing I don't see in the section of HAL file you posted is the parallel port section.

Do you actually have pin 29 connected to the encoder-index pin? (of course, if it isn't connected, then the fact that EMC2 seems happy to start a threading pass at all is a bit of a worry).

Is there any debounce filtering on the index signal?

Attach (or pastebin) your complete HAL file and we can have a look.

More
24 Oct 2011 18:29 #14184 by PCW
Replied by PCW on topic Re:More testing...
Did you set the index invert?

More
25 Oct 2011 00:15 #14190 by NICKKINSMAN
Replied by NICKKINSMAN on topic INDEX INVERT
I tried it, but could not get it to change anything. (i.e. I ran it and it said inverted, but again could not get a change to 'true' in the Config, when running the setp.........true).

It appears as if the signal is low then high per the Hal Scope, and I can get a change to 'True' on the Hal Meter if I move it over the spot slowly, I kind of figured that means the sign must be right to get it to change at all? (Of course I could be wrong)!!

Thanks!
Nick

More
25 Oct 2011 00:19 #14192 by NICKKINSMAN
OK, I have attached my .HAL file here

File Attachment:

File Name: LATHE8677.hal
File Size:8 KB

I also have a postgui HAL which runs my RPM meter, next.
Attachments:

More
25 Oct 2011 00:20 #14193 by NICKKINSMAN
And here is the postgui .HAL...

File Attachment:

File Name: custom_pos...40a8.hal
File Size:1 KB
Attachments:

More
25 Oct 2011 00:21 - 25 Oct 2011 00:24 #14194 by NICKKINSMAN
The forum won't let me load up the .XML file, but I guess that is probablly not relevant.

Thanks for taking a look on where this spindle index problem could be!!

Nick
Last edit: 25 Oct 2011 00:24 by NICKKINSMAN.

More
25 Oct 2011 01:33 #14196 by PCW
If index enable is cleared immediately regardless of the setting on index invert, I would suspect that you have a noise problem on index. How is index connected?

More
25 Oct 2011 09:57 #14202 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Re:INDEX INVERT
NICKKINSMAN wrote:

I tried it, but could not get it to change anything. (i.e. I ran it and it said inverted, but again could not get a change to 'true' in the Config, when running the setp.........true).

index invert doesn't invert anything you can easily see, it changes the edge that the encoder module is looking for.

More
25 Oct 2011 14:55 #14233 by andypugh
NICKKINSMAN wrote:

Thanks for taking a look on where this spindle index problem could be!!

I am baffled, that really ought to be working.
It is nearly time to enable the "raw" interface and start watching the encoder register on the 5i20 card.

You _could_ try checking that all three of:

hm2_5i20.0.encoder.04.index-enable
net spindle-index-enable
motion.spindle-index-enable

Can be seen to be set in Halscope, but they really ought to be perfect copies of each other.

Time to create page: 0.101 seconds