Tuning problems

More
20 Dec 2011 19:51 #15905 by submicro
Replied by submicro on topic Re:Tuning problems
Well I'm back, I got good news and bad news!

I figured out my binding problem. My spacer block for the Y axis was square and parallel but the base casting was not! So after tying a few different shims, I settled on .013". Now Y axis is smooth as butter:) and 1" is 1" It seems I was loosing steps to binding and nothing else.

My bad news is I'm still having a hard time with homing, stepping off, and soft limits! Sometimes it works pefectly, and then I try a different example and "movement exceeds joint 1's limit" or some other limit related error! Ok let me tell you exactly what i'm doing.

Step 1. Turn E-stop off, turn power on.
Step 2. Jog X and Y to their center positions's and home the axis ( In my .ini file they are set as X axis -4 to 4 Y is -2.25 to 2.25 Z is -4 to 4)
Step3. Jog X to the far left so that all x movements are positive and touch off leaving the amount at 0. Jog Y nearest the front of the mill, so all movement from
there is positive, and touch off as I did with X axis. And then the Z axis the same way.
Step4. Press start, and it works most of the time

I really need to get my home switch's installed, I bet I have problems with that too! I never thought retro fitting my mill would make it so difficult to use.:unsure:

Should I change my ini file so that my axis are 0 to 9, 0 to 4.5, and 0 to 8 respectively?
And will switch's make the homing task simpler?

Submicro:unsure:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Dec 2011 21:01 #15906 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic Re:Tuning problems
Looks like your homing and offset routine is ok, but I usually offset to the material left, rear, top for X, Y, and Z. I assume your file your trying to run is outside your limits... look at the back plot to see where it goes outside your bounding box.

John

More
21 Dec 2011 11:16 #15924 by Rick G
Replied by Rick G on topic Re:Tuning problems

Should I change my ini file so that my axis are 0 to 9, 0 to 4.5, and 0 to 8 respectively?

No real good reason to, whatever works for you.

Keep in mind that if you set yout touch off position on the left negative limit ANY movement of x below 0 will trigger an error.
Try jogging in a bit from the limit and then touching off.
Of course the work must still fit in your machine area. On the screen in red you should see any problems.

And will switch's make the homing task simpler?

Well it is faster and fun to watch, but the results will be the same.

Rick G

More
21 Dec 2011 11:51 #15926 by Rick G
Replied by Rick G on topic Re:Tuning problems
Like John when I am using a vise on my mill I set the left side of the rear jaw as x0,y0.
So when I prepare the gcode to run I keep that in mind.

If you set your touch off position on your machine limits x (negative, left all the way) and y(all the way positive)

To make a 1 " block the code could be
G1 X0
G1 X1
G1 Y-1
G1 X0
G1 Y0
That should work fine.

However if you set your touch off positions on the machine limits of x (negative, left all the way) and y(all the way NEGATIVE)

The same code will error because the machine cannot make the negative Y movement, it is already on it's limit.
The normal movements in the Gcode are based on where you touch off.

Rick G

More
21 Dec 2011 16:17 #15932 by submicro
Replied by submicro on topic Re:Tuning problems
Thanks everyone, I mean it! without the people on this forum all I would have is an exspensive boat anchor!

Ok one last question(I hope!). Well this question belongs in the CAM part of the forum.

But thanks again guys.:)

SubMicro

Time to create page: 0.122 seconds