out of bounds configuration

More
07 Jan 2012 03:45 - 07 Jan 2012 04:14 #16397 by alexr
Hey guys

I cant seem to find information on how to modify and or setup correctly, the red lined "out of bounds box" showing on the attached picture.

The reason I am asking is because the manufacuters settings for my mill seem to be incorrect; picture attached!

The yellow box shows the actual physical limit, the absolute MAXIMUM "tool bounding box" from dead centre of the spindle.

I understand the yellow box can be bigger due to tool diameter (my scenario 1/8" end mills) and larger again including offsets.

I am of the understanding that the picture should look like a window frame: red out of bounds box (physical travel per axis) enclosing a smaller yellow box of similar proportions (tool bounding box). Am I correct?

The objective is to correctly display the physical limits and the software limits of my mill so... that I may perform accurate placement of limit/homing switches, measurements and placement of stock.

thanks for reading
Last edit: 07 Jan 2012 04:14 by alexr.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Jan 2012 04:21 #16398 by alexr
it wouldnt let me post a print screen so instead i have posted a *.doc with the pic inside. HA! HA! stupid file restrictions!!!

yeah.... so here is what i was posting about

More
07 Jan 2012 04:43 #16399 by alexr
it wouldnt let me post a print screen so instead i have posted a zip because of the ridiculously small and stupid file restrictions!!! this forum has in place!

goto SYNAPTIC and download COMPREZ as it will be the easiest way to get your pics on this forum.

yeah.... so here is what i was posting about

File Attachment:

File Name: emc2_cutti...blem.zip
File Size:82 KB
Attachments:

More
07 Jan 2012 23:44 #16424 by andypugh
alexr wrote:

Hey guys

I cant seem to find information on how to modify and or setup correctly, the red lined "out of bounds box" showing on the attached picture.

The reason I am asking is because the manufacuters settings for my mill seem to be incorrect; picture attached!

The yellow box shows the actual physical limit, the absolute MAXIMUM "tool bounding box" from dead centre of the spindle.

So, the red box is where EMC2 thinks that the limits are, and the yellow is where you can physically reach before hitting the hard stops?

Does the machine have limit and/or home switches?

The red box is defined by the axis max and min values in the INI file. Do the XYZ numerical positions correspond to real physical distances? It may be that your bounding box is correct, but that EMC2 doesn't think you have moved as far as you really have due to a stepper scale error.

More
08 Jan 2012 23:00 #16447 by alexr
Thanks for the reply Andy

I am off to go tinker with the INI file right now!

The yellow box shows the HARD physical stops for my X,Y axes via the dead center of my spindle.

To answer your question... No I have no limit or homing switches setup yet...

I was actually experimenting with the soft limits via stepconf when I came across this out of bound problem.

The idea is to configure the soft limits properly and then install my limit switches.

I will worry about homing after I have installed and configured the relay card and limit switches correctly.

Ahh... before I go. Did I miss something originally when doing stepconf for the first time on my mill to get this problem? or is there a procedure in any one of the three manuals I over looked? The reason I ask is because I am using OEM settings and instructions :-( scary huh?

Thanks for your help :-D

More
08 Jan 2012 23:06 #16448 by andypugh
alexr wrote:

Ahh... before I go. Did I miss something originally when doing stepconf for the first time on my mill to get this problem? or is there a procedure in any one of the three manuals I over looked?

The manuals all assume that you know the basics of your machine, such as the axis travels…

In your case I would check the travels with a tape measure, and see if they match the stepconf setups (or the INI file).

If the tape measure and settings match, then I would suspect that the stepper scale has been misconfigured. Jog exactly an inch, and see how far you move.

Note that the physical limits and the red box wont align until you are homed correctly, but they should be the same size.

More
08 Jan 2012 23:54 - 09 Jan 2012 00:01 #16453 by alexr
Ok....

INI file is the stored data for stepconf... which isn't much help because stepconf settings are correct to OEM settings.

Now I am getting an understanding of the depth of this problem.

Y axis is moving in place of the X axis and vice versa.

X is 24" of travel
Y is 18" of travel

In emc2 the "stepper scale error" now shows its ugly head. The measurements shown on the attached picture are impossible!!!
The drivers are hard switched (DIP) to half stepping and stepconf step rate to the rate of 2.

I have provided stepconf and emc2 axis display.

Its official I have no idea.

File Attachment:

File Name: axes_and_s...rror.zip
File Size:81 KB
Attachments:
Last edit: 09 Jan 2012 00:01 by alexr. Reason: attachement 500k limit!!!!!

More
09 Jan 2012 00:02 #16454 by alexr
next

File Attachment:

File Name: conf_123.zip
File Size:240 KB
Attachments:

More
09 Jan 2012 00:15 #16456 by andypugh
alexr wrote:

Y axis is moving in place of the X axis and vice versa.

In that case, just switch the X and Y step and direction pins in the stepconf parallel port setup tab.

More
09 Jan 2012 00:28 #16457 by alexr
I just solved all the problems.

In Stepconf I mixed up X and Y which explains why things are going backwards on me (MY FAULT!!! SORRY)

Second EMC2 software step settings will "multiply" your hardware settings; in my case the motor drivers dip settings (lack of emc2 experience... so ummm...... i will put this down to 'learning curve' )

ahhh well! now to reading up on how to do homing BUM BA BAAAAAAAAA!

thank you for enduring my stupidity

File Attachment:

File Name: conf_456.zip
File Size:265 KB
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.103 seconds