Spindle w/ PnCConf / Mesa 5i20 & 7i48 /EMC2 2.5

More
10 Jan 2012 15:21 #16528 by fgauder
Andy, Chris, Peter,

You guys are appreciated for all you do, and you do know your stuff. The spindle is working great at all speeds and in both directions. Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Jan 2012 21:47 #16547 by fgauder
Gentlemen,

I thought I'd post this here, instead of in a new thread in hopes that it relates. I finally got around to trying some programs and it turns out that as soon as the spindle starts the axes stop. I can make an axis move before the spindle starts, but not after.

I can, however, start the spindle in MDI and then move the axes either with MDI commands or by jogging. I can also manually start it and jog the axes. If I start it and then open a program and run it, it just sits at the first axis move, but gives no errors.

It sounds bazaar to me, I hope there is a simple answer. Thanks

More
10 Jan 2012 22:06 #16548 by andypugh
fgauder wrote:

as soon as the spindle starts the axes stop.

It sounds like you have the "spindle at speed" pin connected, but it is not getting a valid signal.

The idea is that the cut doesn't start until the spindle is up to speed. I don't know how you configured the machine (stepconf, pncconf, something else) but I think you will find that commenting out (with a # ) the line with spindle-at-speed in it should sort you out.

More
10 Jan 2012 22:29 #16550 by fgauder
Thank you Andy, that did the trick.

More
11 Jan 2012 06:39 #16564 by cmorley
fgauder according to the HAL file you posted, spindle at speed should have worked when the spindle speed was within 95 percent.
Did you have the spindle feedback encoder connected ?
I'm interested only because I want to make sure PNCconf set it up right.
Nothing in the spindle department is really well tested as I don't have a controller spindle at home yet.

Cheers Chris M

More
11 Jan 2012 13:53 #16595 by fgauder
Chris,

I'm glad you ask. Yes, the encoder is connected and I have verified that it works by viewing the pulses on the 7i48 terminals. However, it doesn't seem to do anything, and I can't find a signal in Hal Meter that indicates that it does.

Once I set the proper scale, the spindle runs at the correct RPM, based on the scale. I have a low and high gear and the encoder is on the spindle, not the motor. If I switch to low gear and give a command, I get the same DAC output that I get in high gear, but the spindle runs at the gear reduction rate.

I was also going to let you know that if you select both "External Feed Override" and " External Spindle Override" in PnCConf, the pins for both of them are set to feed-override in the HAL file. With all the other problems I've been having, I haven't been able to get into why these overrides don't work. I have a MPG pendant with a 6 position selector for X, Y, Z, A, F, and S. It also has a 3 position selector for X1, X10, and X100. The X, Y, and Z work perfectly. I haven't installed the A axis yet, and it appears that what PnCConf set up is not for my hard wear.

The feed and speed overrides would have to work in MDI and auto modes. Can I get there from here?

Thanks,
Frank

Time to create page: 0.076 seconds