para port through pci port on laptop, possible?

More
29 Jan 2012 13:54 #17256 by nemoskull
i have been lurking the cnc areas of the web for a while and have started my first cnc machine. a desktop laser cutter.
i have found a parallel port that uses a mini pci-e port. its (as i understand it) a add on port with a USB interface and some expanded comm lines. the computer under windows would see it as a regular paralle port. i am wanting to use this on a laptop running an EMC2 version of linux.

im looking for some one to poke some holes in this.

i will be using servos with a custom control board.

are there any possible problems with the parallel port setup under linux?

thanks again,
nemo

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Jan 2012 14:09 #17259 by BigJohnT
Laptops are not generally suited for real time CNC control due to hardware power saving devices, USB is not suitable for real time CNC. The parallel port is usually used for stepper driven machines due to the steps are software generated and therefor dependent on the computer latency.

The current pc used by many is the D525 motherboard with a PCI card like the Mesa 5i20 or 5i25. The 5i25 has a daughter card for servos the 7i77 that works for most applications.

So the first thing you do to determine the latency of your computer is to run the latency-test.

linuxcnc.org/docview/2.5/html/install/Latency_Test.html

John

More
29 Jan 2012 17:18 #17264 by PCW
If you can get around the Laptop power saving issues with realtime, a true PCIE parallel port card should work. Express slots on laptops support both USB and PCIE so the parallel port card needs to be chosen carefully so you get a true PCIE card not a USB one.

More
31 Jan 2012 01:54 - 31 Jan 2012 01:59 #17289 by nemoskull
true pcie, so is the mini pci-e port out of the question?
i will do some research in the differences from a full size pcie and the mini pcie.

i might just get the PCIe card and try it, it seems no one has ever done this before.

live life without regrets, no matter how foolish, the regrets is worse.
Last edit: 31 Jan 2012 01:59 by nemoskull.

More
31 Jan 2012 03:39 #17290 by PCW
No, not out of the question. I was not clear with my nomeclature, mini-PCIE cards can work but mini PCIE cards have both a a PCIE interface and a USB interface so you have to make sure that the plug in card is a PCIE cards not a USB one

Time to create page: 0.066 seconds