Installation EMC on kubuntu 9.4/9.10

More
16 Nov 2009 03:34 #1136 by Rustam
Who can describe in detail how this can be done?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Nov 2009 20:36 #1147 by kfontaine
Everyone who knows how to make this work seems to be pretty "hush-hush" on the subject. I figure that if it can run on other linux builds, there should be no issue with it running on 8.10 or 9.04. It just might take a little work.

I have been experimenting with trying to get it working on 9.04, but the results have been mixed. I have managed to get the kernel patched and compiled, rtai and emc2 compiled, but it errors out shortly after selecting the type of machine to run.

It gives an error in the debug info stating that it had an incorrect symbol in a particular file. I am not currently at the machine I have been testing all this out on, and will post the exact message that is spit out.

What it appears to be, from my newbish perspective, is some issue with the version of RTAI that I used. I don't know if there is any problems with using RTAI 3.7.1 and EMC2 2.3.4.

All in all, I would still consider it a success on my part since I have never had to compile a kernel before. Let alone patch, compile, and compile some more in order to make the application run. I'm pretty sure that it isn't something to do with messing something up. It is also possible that some of settings for compiling the kernel may be the culprit.

If anyone would like, I can at least outline the things that I did do to get to that point. Maybe a collaboration can be made to overcome the issue I stumbled on.

More
18 Nov 2009 00:39 #1148 by mozmck
not "hush-hush", just busy :) I have emc2 running on 9.04 and 9.10 with rtai.
The issue you have sounds like maybe you didn't have module versioning support disabled in the kernel configuration?

With 9.04 I used a vanilla kernel (2.6.29.4) from kernel.org and patched it with the rtai patch for that kernel. Here are some links with good information on the process:
wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/emcinfo.pl?Installing_EMC2
wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/emcinfo.pl?Debian_Lenny_Compile_RTAI
wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/emcinfo.pl?RtaiSteps

The middle link has the most of the information you will need. If you are not making packages for others I would not bother using the debianization patch mentioned. All you need to do is after patching, compiling and installing and booting the kernel, is then run 'make' and then 'sudo make install' from the rtai source directory. Then you should be ready to compile emc2.

For anyone running 9.10 I have made some experimental packages which are at www.linuxcnc.org/experimental/Karmic/
This should run on multi-core or single core processors, and is compiled for pentium pro or greater.

An outline might be helpful to folks. I can probably help with it.

Moses

More
18 Nov 2009 00:51 #1149 by kfontaine
GAH!

I had an outline with everything I had done up to this point. Several paragraphs worth with links, details, and pretty formatting. I apparently took too long writing as I lost it all when I hit submit and lost it all due to a time out on my login.

I guess I'll have to start over.

Thanks for the information.

More
19 Nov 2009 06:53 #1153 by Rustam
thank you my friends :)

More
20 Nov 2009 01:40 #1157 by kfontaine
What do you get when you run the following in the terminal?
uname -a

If it says rtai anywhere in there, then chances are that you have do have an rtai patched kernel, but maybe the rtai application is having the issue. I get an insmod error, like you, but mine is the following:
insmod: error inserting '/usr/reatime/modules/emc2/rtapi.ko': -1 Invalid module format 3333

I have no idea what this means, because I recompiled a whole new kernel with the settings listed in the middle link above for an earlier version of ubuntu. I was getting an insmod error before recompiling everything from fresh sources, but I was getting "Unknown symbol in module". Yours lists the rtai_hal.ko as the file is question and then the rtai kernel module not being able to be loaded.

Once again, I am not sure what it all means, but I pretty sure someone else might be able to better answer that. I, too, am looking for the reason why I can't get it to work. I've compiled a new dang kernel and supporting programs close to a dozen times now with no luck. Either I have a setting wrong or I'm just messing something up along the way. I would like to hope that it's simply a slight incompatability between the versions I used, but I'm probably not that lucky.

More
20 Nov 2009 07:44 #1158 by spuzzdawg
From the first capture it looks as though RTAI is failing to start up and causing EMC2 to crash. My guess is that this is caused by using an onboard graphics chip or proprietary drivers for your graphics card.

More
20 Nov 2009 08:56 #1160 by Rustam
When the code "uname-a" I get the following-"Linux rustam-desktop 2.6.24-16-rtai # 1 Tue Sep 30 22:54:33 EEST 2008 i686 GNU / Linux
"What does it mean?

More
20 Nov 2009 09:01 #1161 by Rustam
You can read more about the integrated graphics chips and the proprietary drivers? How can I do?

Time to create page: 0.079 seconds