Problems with parallel port on Live CD install

More
12 Jan 2010 00:13 #1495 by bchiszar
Hey folks, I was hoping to get some help here... I have a brand new CNC mill from K2CNC that came with Mach3 already setup. I have been extremely disappointed with Mach3 interface and wanted to try to use EMC2. I downloaded and installed the Ubuntu Live CD package and installed. Everything seemed to go perfectly, however when I run the Stepper Mill Configuration utility, I seem to be getting all of my settings right, but the machine wont run when I test jogging the Axis'. For some reason I do not believe the parallel port has installed correctly and I cant figure out for the life of me what the issue is. I'm hoping is something easy so I can start testing this program out. Thanks in advance for any help on the matter.

I have a Sony Vaio PCV-RX860 with 2.4Ghz, 1G of Ram and an on board parallel port.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Jan 2010 10:51 #1497 by Rick G
Hello,

If the mill ran correctly with Mach you should start by comparing all the settings in Mach and EMC2, parallel port address, pin assignment, etc. You can search for them in Mach's set up pages, write them down and then apply them in EMC2.

Rick

More
16 Jan 2010 16:27 #1517 by bchiszar
I compared all my settings from Mah3 and everything seems perfect. I'm thinking that my problem is that Ubuntu is not loading the parport_pc drivers and when i try to install, it doesnt.... still banging my head against the wall.

-Blake

More
17 Jan 2010 09:46 #1525 by acemi
No need to install "parport_pc" module. You need only "parport" module.
Use the following command to see if it's installed:

lsmod | grep par

Maybe your pin order is not correct. Check your step and dir pin order from your .hal file.

regards

More
17 Jan 2010 13:21 #1528 by Rick G
Hello,

I am not familiar with the hardware you are using. If after you test and determine the parallel port is recognized and you are using the correct address do not forget to check "charge pump" and "Estop" pins and if they need to be inverted.
If your breakout board uses a charge pump and the pin is set wrong it will halt movement.

Rick

More
12 Mar 2010 02:24 #2281 by kgill
Did you get it runnung?

Time to create page: 0.111 seconds