New graphics card

More
06 Mar 2010 01:58 #2206 by mickelsen
New graphics card was created by mickelsen
Well, I've got to get a new graphics card in order to run Linux. I couldn't see anything associated with nVidia with my present one, but it won't run. Could someone please tell me how to make absolutely sure that I'm getting a card that will run Linux? I don't need anything fancy. I'm not a gamer. I just want something that runs well and runs Ubuntu 8.04.0. Your help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Mark

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Mar 2010 11:24 #2209 by BigJohnT
Replied by BigJohnT on topic Re:New graphics card
If you have some fairly new hardware download and burn the latest Ubuntu 8.04.4 LiveCD. It is newer and fixes some hardware issues that Ubuntu had with 8.04.0 that is on the EMC LiveCD. If you can install that fine then you can add EMC and the real time kernel to that install.

wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/emcinfo.pl?Ins...EMC2#On_Stock_Ubuntu

John

More
06 Mar 2010 13:00 #2212 by mickelsen
Replied by mickelsen on topic Re:New graphics card
Thanks, John. I have a copy of 8.04.4 and it does run on my machine, but for the moment I need to be in the position where I can run Emc2 without installing it. So if you or someone else could help me by suggesting a graphics card that wouldn't break the bank, it would be much appreciated.
Regards,
Mark

More
07 Mar 2010 16:06 #2223 by Davenc
Replied by Davenc on topic Re:New graphics card
I just installed this card from Newegg and it cost ~$40. Geforce 8400 gs. www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814162026

Don't use any after market drivers, just use the nv drivers that are included with 8.04. I have a working Xorg.conf file that I can send you once you get the card. This is a PCIe X16 card BTW. I pretty much had to manually edit my Xorg.conf file to get it to display properly but it really wasn't that hard to do.

More
07 Mar 2010 20:25 #2224 by andreas59
Replied by andreas59 on topic Re:New graphics card
OK, you got a tip for a PCIe card. If your system have a AGP Card you can use some cheap ATI or Matrox Cards. Actually I use here aon my machines one Matrox MGA G550 (32MB AGP) and one Matrox MGA G200 (8MB AGP) and one ATI Radeon X300SE (128MB PCIe)

I can imagine, that it depends also on the rest of your hardware if the cards will work.

Andreas.

More
08 Mar 2010 10:57 #2227 by mickelsen
Here is my hardware configuration:
AMD Athlon 64 3200+ processor
motherboard MSI MS-7125
chipset nVidia nForce4
Southbridge nForce4 MCP
LPCIO Winbond W83627EHF
2 1/2 gig memory DDR 134.0 mhz

Radeon X1650 series graphics card
bios VER009.012.016.002.021594
driver ver. ati2mtag 6.14.10.7028 /XP

I got this information by running cpu-z and Gpu-z on my system. I also have an ATI Radeon R4350 graphics card. I could put it in and run Gpu-z on it to get its information, but it doesn't run with Ubuntu either.
Neither one runs with 8.04.0 nor 8.04.4. I begin to wonder if it is because of the nVidia chipset on the motherboard. That would be a real burn.

Well, any further light and knowledge that anyone can give me will be greatly appreciated.
Mark

More
08 Mar 2010 14:51 #2234 by mickelsen
I have a question for after I get this all cleared up and I can install Ubuntu and Emc2.
First, a tiny bit of history: my shop computer died. I decided to take my office computer and move it to the shop and then get a hot, new machine for my office. I generally do all of my development work on my office machine and then just transfer gcode to the shop machine.
Given all this, my "new" shop computer will start off with a working Windows XP system on it. When I install Ubuntu on it, will that file system be destroyed, or can it be saved? I plan to create a VirtualBox to run XP so that I has access to my XP network to transfer files back and forth to my Ubuntu system comfortably. It might be nice to have that file system still available also.
Can anyone give me an idea what will happen to the XP file system when I install Ubuntu?
Thanks again,
Mark

Time to create page: 0.221 seconds