(superseeded) Linuxcnc on Linux Mint 19.3 quick and easy installation

More
14 Feb 2020 02:17 #157333 by Zeta
Tommy, to answer your question, I set up the ethernet per the instructions in this post. forum.linuxcnc.org/38-general-linuxcnc-q...e-quick-setup#105381 and added the hardware-irq-coalesce-rx-usecs 0 per another post. LinuxCNC has been launching fine for the last day now, and I have control of the steppers on all 3 axis. I don't however get any input from the I/O pins for my home switches. I have checked them with a meter at the 7i76e board and the home switches register at the I/O pins, but Linuxcnc does not see them. When I launch pncconf i get a message saying "You have no hostmot2 firmware downloaded in folder: /lib/firmware/hm2/" I'm not sure what the cause of this is.
I am going to delete the IP config changes I made and try it using your approach and see if that resolves anything. I will report back my findings.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Feb 2020 05:19 #157336 by Zeta
Tommy, to answer your question, I set up the ethernet per the instructions in this post. forum.linuxcnc.org/38-general-linuxcnc-q...e-quick-setup#105381 and added the hardware-irq-coalesce-rx-usecs 0 per another post. LinuxCNC has been launching fine for the last day now, and I have control of the steppers on all 3 axis. I don't however get any input from the I/O pins for my home switches. I have checked them with a meter at the 7i76e board and the home switches register at the I/O pins, but Linuxcnc does not see them. When I launch pncconf i get a message saying "You have no hostmot2 firmware downloaded in folder: /lib/firmware/hm2/" I'm not sure what the cause of this is.
I am going to delete the IP config changes I made and try it using your approach and see if that resolves anything. I will report back my findings.
Update
I backed out of all of the network settings I made and followed your post on network settings. PC is connected to 7i76e without issue and the latency numbers improved a little and seem more stable. Jogging steppers on X and Z work fine.

Thanks for all your help Tommy!
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
14 Feb 2020 10:05 #157342 by rodw

I wish I could like Mint but there is just something about it...

Sounds like my feelings about Apple Mac's. Maybe you use one as your desktop?

I think Mint is by far the best Linux distro I've used with the smoothest installation and the most wide ranging hardware driver support than any of them I've tried. With Mint, I've never had do add an extra driver.. even on laptops.

More
14 Feb 2020 10:21 #157343 by phillc54

Sounds like my feelings about Apple Mac's. Maybe you use one as your desktop?

I do, in fact all the PlasmaC code was written in Atom on a Mac.

I think Mint is by far the best Linux distro I've used with the smoothest installation and the most wide ranging hardware driver support than any of them I've tried. With Mint, I've never had do add an extra driver.. even on laptops.

I have never had an issue with a Debian install (that I can recall).
The only desktop I used Linux for was in my last job where they used only Windows boxes and they were too miserable to buy me a Mac
The following user(s) said Thank You: rodw

More
14 Feb 2020 11:46 #157348 by tommylight
Phill, it was Cinnamon, i think i did report the issue of Linuxcnc staring minimised, still.
My bad, that was not a good comparison.
Linux Mint got ti be by far the best Linux distro as it just works, everything just works! Hell, it got to be much beter than ubuntu 10.04, and that was built like a tank!
It is a bit on the heavy side, but compared to other OS, it is in a leage of it's own, all Linuxes are. Win10 is sloppy on the fastest PC, and that is not about to change.
I have about 20 PC's, most Laptops, just the knowlege of pressing the power button on them and they WILL work is enough. Shutting down in under 3 seconds, always is a miracle compared to " windows is updating, do not shut down the computer" !!!! WTF, i just told it to shut down !!!!
Luckilly, i isolated myself from wincrap after i was loosing my marbles of working with it for over 10 years, pofesionaly, had 3 computer shops, worked as IT admin for UN and OSCE, etc.
Another thing, since this rant got to be loooong, i have Ethereum miners with AMD RX580 on Ubuntu 18.04 and with GTX 1060/6GB running on Mint 17.3, i never have to reset the Mint ones.
19.3 does work properly with AMD drivers now, so might have to change that.
Regards,
Tom.

More
14 Feb 2020 11:54 #157349 by tommylight

[
I have never had an issue with a Debian install (that I can recall).

Everything i said above is also true with Debian, it is also a bit snnapier than mint. The issues people are having with it are due to having the free version that has no proprietary drivers incuded, and the non free version that does have everything included and will work on almost all PC's. A bit of reading before downloading would save a lot of frustration.

More
14 Feb 2020 11:59 #157350 by phillc54

Phill, it was Cinnamon, i think i did report the issue of Linuxcnc staring minimised, still.

That should be fixed in 2.9. I think the fix should have been pushed to other branches but I don't make those decisions.

More
14 Feb 2020 12:01 #157351 by phillc54

Everything i said above is also true with Debian, it is also a bit snnapier than mint. The issues people are having with it are due to having the free version that has no proprietary drivers incuded, and the non free version that does have everything included and will work on almost all PC's. A bit of reading before downloading would save a lot of frustration.

I agree. I usually use a netinst ISO that has the non-free drivers.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
14 Feb 2020 13:09 #157354 by rodw

I do, in fact all the PlasmaC code was written in Atom on a Mac.

Meh, I'll stick with my Chromebook where I can. :)

More
14 Feb 2020 19:31 #157370 by cmorley

That should be fixed in 2.9. I think the fix should have been pushed to other branches but I don't make those decisions.

I cherry-picked it to 2.8 too
Thanks for figuring that out.

Chris
The following user(s) said Thank You: phillc54

Time to create page: 0.188 seconds