(superseeded) Linuxcnc on Linux Mint 19.3 quick and easy installation

More
28 Feb 2020 02:14 #158714 by pmconsulting
I just figured out how to DISable the default UEFI drives in the Bios. I didn't realize that those were selectable & could just be removed. Re-doing for the umpteenth time. Grrr.....

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Feb 2020 02:32 #158715 by pmconsulting
Someone HAS to start pruning these form topics. Those where the first post says something like "Finally got it working...", only to find out that 38 pages later the last post says "...I'll have to figure that out..." are just time-wasting garbage. They should all be moved to a folder of failures so no one gets stung by them. If they don't work, it should be clearly stated in the title or the whole topic should have a warning color or something. It's way too frustrating to sift through all the nonsense.

More
28 Feb 2020 03:25 - 28 Feb 2020 03:27 #158720 by pmconsulting
Everything seems to work if I set the primary drive for install & follow your instructions in the first post, except it seems to break the drivers for my nVidia GeForce 1050 TI board. I have a running, default RT-Prempt kernel, latency is 4.5 ns, but everything is 640 x 480 and unusable.

Tried using all 4 of the available drivers in the Linux Mint drivers settings and none of them fix this issue.
Last edit: 28 Feb 2020 03:27 by pmconsulting.

More
28 Feb 2020 10:57 #158740 by tommylight
It's been mentioned a lot on this forum and on some others that Nvidia drivers do not play nice with real time kernels. That is due to the power saving features in those cards, same with plenty of AMD ones.
I did manage to get things working with an RTX 1060/6GB and RX580/8GB, but the latency goes to hell in a hand basket. Still usable with RX580 but not with NVIDIA.
I never install proprietary drivers on Linuxcnc machines, although most of my PC's and Laptops have Nvidia cards on them.
From experience, chances are bigger to use an AMD card than Nvidia, as AMD does not care much about electronic design guidelines, case in point, older RX480 would draw 9A from the PCI-E slot at 12V, while the max allowed is 75W or a smidge over 6A.
However you look at it, that is a stab in the dark, even the same card from diferent manufacturers migh or might not work.
My advice, do not bother with it.
The time and frustration you have put into it could have been forgone by buying another used PC for 50 to 100$. Dell and HP enterprise edition used ones work perfectly with Linuxcnc, i tested over 30 types of them.

More
28 Feb 2020 17:08 #158767 by pmconsulting
Yeah, the hell with nVidia. I read some stuff in their forum last night - "...nVidia isn't a charity..." with regard to support for PREEMPT-RT kernels. That and "Why does anyone even need real time?" from a bunch of musicians. Oh, God.

No, nVidia is a company that overcharges for hardware they refuse to adequately support. Card's gone and the system works as expected.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
19 Apr 2020 07:15 #164604 by Clive S
Is this still one of Rob's working iso's forum.linuxcnc.org/9-installing-linuxcnc...tion?start=80#157013
If not which is the correct one to download for 2.8 rt
Thanks again to Rob for all the hard work that went into the building of them.

More
19 Apr 2020 11:33 #164623 by tommylight
They are not available any more.
But you can use the original post on this topic for Mint, or this tutorial for Debian 10 Buster:
forum.linuxcnc.org/9-installing-linuxcnc...ick-and-easy-install

More
19 Apr 2020 13:19 #164637 by Clive S

They are not available any more.
But you can use the original post on this topic for Mint, or this tutorial for Debian 10 Buster:
forum.linuxcnc.org/9-installing-linuxcnc...ick-and-easy-install

I just spotted it there but did not check the link. I already have the iso's on my nas drive. But want to send a link to another member and I would not do that without Rob's permission.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
19 Apr 2020 13:44 #164638 by tommylight
He has put a lot of work and effort in making those ISO's work out of the box, be it as a Live session or installed, and he also put everything in place for building Linuxcnc from sources in case someone needed the latest version for testing or development, added QT5 with everything, and a lot of other stuff. All in, it was a perfect solution for everyone, if some just bothered to read a bit.
But some new users insisted on building Linuxcnc and complained about things not working, without ever needing to do that.
The thing with "Do not touch the red button".......
I would point some of the blame at Rob for putting that on the Desktop, some people will click on anything on the desktop, even on the big red button.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Clive S, BeagleBrainz

More
19 Apr 2020 23:20 #164693 by BeagleBrainz
That's a fair point Tommy.
Another thing I could of done, is made the script a bit more informative when people launched it. Even if someone did blindly click on it no damage would have been done.

One thing I did notice there was very little feedback from people that had actually installed from the ISO and got a machine up & running. There were more comments from people being concerned with being able to get updates. As I have no facilities to host a repo, which isn't a hard thing to setup, and Debian being preferred by the devs and I didn't want to be answering the same questions regarding updates over and over again I decided to pull the links.
It was not a thing I did lightly as there was a fair bit of time involved. Creating an ISO it self didn't take that long but it was the testing in VirtualBox and then the testing on real hardware that consumed the most amount of time.
Another thing that did weigh on my mind was when the next edition of Mint was released, I think I may of mentioned this before, but I wasn't going to release an ISO until the next Mint version had proved itself, and no doubt that question would have to be answered many times. Even someone who hadn't commented on the 19.2 releases was asking if Ubuntu 20 would be supported.
Maybe I'm not a real good people person, even more so when the questions being asked had answers if only people read the info given.
It was a fun project and I learnt a bit from it.
Personally I do think Debian is the better platform. Tho if there were xenial & bionic repos that would add quite a few other distros to the reach. If the kernels were included within those repos installation would just be a one liner apt-get command.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, Clive S

Time to create page: 0.271 seconds