(superseeded) Linuxcnc on Linux Mint 19.3 quick and easy installation

More
25 Jun 2020 17:51 #172740 by gerritv
Thank you Mike, that is a good enough process for me to sort through. Much appreciated.
My Linux skills are rusty, but somehow my Vi skills come back to my fingertips from 1999 :-)

Gerrit

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Jun 2020 21:15 #172916 by mydani

Added:
wget http.us.debian.org/debian/pool/main/l/li...-1~bpo10+1_amd64.deb
-
sudo gdebi linux-image-5.4.0-0.bpo.4-rt-amd64_5.4.19-1~bpo10+1_amd64

Hi all,
After a 14h retrofit session from scratch to done I’d like to tell you that the kernel mentioned above lead for our hardware to latency of 5 to 10ms (and Mesa watchdog did bite) while with a 4.19-rt kernel from same page it was dimensions better and now it runs smoothly.

Regards Daniel

More
28 Jun 2020 10:06 #172964 by tommylight

After a 14h retrofit session from scratch to done I’d like to tell you that the kernel mentioned above lead for our hardware to latency of 5 to 10ms (and Mesa watchdog did bite) while with a 4.19-rt kernel from same page it was dimensions better and now it runs smoothly.

Yes that is correct for older PC's, on new-ish PC, there is very little difference.
Thank you for reporting back.

More
29 Jun 2020 15:23 #173107 by hhogendoorn
I am new with CNC , usualy I used my DRO for "Manually NC".
Installed Linuxcnc Mint on a Asus EEE pc (with Intel Atom N570) without any problem and for the first step I have contact with my new bought 7I76E card.
Thanks Hans
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
29 Jun 2020 15:25 #173108 by tommylight

More
08 Jul 2020 03:16 #173949 by rodw
Super simple thanks Tommy, I now have an Odroid H2+ running RT_PREEMPT with quite acceptable latency for a Mesa card straight out of the box.

The only thing required to get the Odroid going was to install the network driver via a USB stick with gdebi as its new hardware (2.5gb)
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
08 Jul 2020 10:32 #173966 by tommylight
Nice, i did see the latency and it looks very good.
It does not get easier than this, i tried !
You can copy and paste all the steps to a text file, save it, make it executable and just run it. That would be the 3 click install !
I did try Mint 20 beta, but to many stuff missing as the support for Python2 is gone and the backport repos are not used, yet. will test the 20 without beta soon.

More
08 Jul 2020 12:32 #173971 by rodw
For some of the main distros to have PREMPT_RT packaged is a sign its gaining acceptance. :)

More
08 Jul 2020 14:28 #173983 by tommylight

For some of the main distros to have PREMPT_RT packaged is a sign its gaining acceptance. :)

It is being used a lot by the audio enthusiast community and quite some professionals, so i am not worried it will be gone anytime soon.
You can do stuff on a crappy PC with audio mixing and production that would normally require a lot of zeros on the price tag.

More
09 Jul 2020 04:05 #174050 by rodw

It is being used a lot by the audio enthusiast community and quite some professionals, so i am not worried it will be gone anytime soon.
You can do stuff on a crappy PC with audio mixing and production that would normally require a lot of zeros on the price tag.

Yes and also by BMW I think and others for automotive. So its here to stay.

I have a very nice Avid FastTrack Duo connected to a microphone in my office that is not supported in Linux that kinda broke when I tossed out Windows. Audacity works but I could not get sound to a video call the other day so we had to use a phone... Well WhatsApp anyway. Maybe I'll try upgrading to preempt-rt and see if it helps

Time to create page: 0.351 seconds