(superseeded) Linuxcnc on Linux Mint 19.3 quick and easy installation

More
08 Feb 2020 13:37 - 09 Feb 2020 09:44 #156758 by BeagleBrainz

Thank You for the info on iso -- Downloading --- will use WinUSB v3.7.0.1 to make a USB boot stick and try it out .

WinUSB v3.7.0.1 will not work with Linuxmint CNC 2.9 iso -error Linux Lnitrd file not found on iso .

Like I said use win32diskimager. Your utility maybe looking for initrd.lz which is not on the iso, the file is actually initrd.gz, some of the USB utilities do not do a raw byte by byte write to the USB stick. The image has been created as a so called hybrid image, which will boot when written byte by byte to either a dvd or a usb stick. A non hybrid image has issues booting from a USB stick.

I tested the iso multiple times using VBox and put it onto a USB stick and installed it on my Laptop. I even have a copy burnt to dvd which I've used to install.

When doing things it really helps to follow the advice given. Then if they are any issues it is easy to diagnose and fix. I'm not being an ass.
Last edit: 09 Feb 2020 09:44 by BeagleBrainz.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Feb 2020 13:51 #156761 by freddie
I am sorry but I don't have a clue as to what you are talking about. I posted about running Linuxcnc on Linux Mint 19.1 Mate.

More
08 Feb 2020 14:00 #156762 by BeagleBrainz
If you look at the top of my last post you will see I quoted another user.
Read the whole post ;)

More
08 Feb 2020 16:35 #156767 by tommylight

Ok, I have mate 19.3 installed and running. I installed the headers and image from the links you sent. Do I need a new link for the kernel? And the link for linuxcnc 2.9. Thanks

buildbot.linuxcnc.org/~buildmaster/dists...g2e0f88e2a_amd64.deb
That is the latest master, not stable, stable here :
buildbot.linuxcnc.org/~buildmaster/dists...g6d32d53c4_amd64.deb

More
08 Feb 2020 19:46 #156777 by freddie
Everything is loaded and ready. If only I could get to the grub menu to load the kernel. Ctrl-shift won't work and I don't know anything else. About ready to continue using Debian Wheezy!

More
08 Feb 2020 20:08 #156779 by tommylight
Did you install the grub cusomizer ?

More
08 Feb 2020 20:48 - 09 Feb 2020 09:44 #156781 by BeagleBrainz

Everything is loaded and ready. If only I could get to the grub menu to load the kernel. Ctrl-shift won't work and I don't know anything else. About ready to continue using Debian Wheezy!

Ok go back to the previous page, look for my post regarding the iso with Linuxcnc on the LinuxMint iso, download the image. Pay attention to the bits in red, boot from you chosen media, install as if it were a standard LinuxMint disc, reboot and you’ll have LinuxMint 19.2 with Linuxcnc and the correct kernel installed.
If you are going to use a windows machine to put the image onto a USB stick, please, please use the utility I suggest. It will work, I have tested it many many times. Just follow all the instructions in my post and you will be good to go.
Any issues I am only too happy to help.
Last edit: 09 Feb 2020 09:44 by BeagleBrainz.

More
08 Feb 2020 22:52 #156787 by freddie
I have installed it now. Didn't work at first but then realized it was an apt. I looked at my apts and there it was, Grub customizer. I set it up to boot the rt kernel first and now I am rolling. It will be simple from now on! Never could have done it without your help. Thank you so much!

More
09 Feb 2020 00:15 #156793 by tommylight
Nice ! You are welcomed, always.

More
09 Feb 2020 01:18 #156798 by WhyMe1
All is working Now ! Re-download fresh copy LinuxMint 19.3 Burn to DVD - format/reload HD -- redone step one of post -- so far so good. Latency test is super high on this Dell D620 with docking station with parallel port ..
Just my luck .

Thank You for all the Help !

Time to create page: 0.278 seconds