LinuxCNC on Debian 10 Buster quick and easy install

More
26 Apr 2020 13:14 #165660 by tommylight
I am aware that buster had some issue, but there is no issue in using linuxcnc at all, maybe if you want to use it for development it might have issues, but i am not using dev on the 2 PC's i have Buster installed.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Apr 2020 13:22 #165661 by Pro_El
Great to now ..

Thanks
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
26 Apr 2020 22:49 - 26 Apr 2020 22:51 #165716 by mookins
Debian allows you to have both Python 2 and Python 3 on a system without any issue. The binaries are named python2 or python3 etc. You can see here www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/pyt...olicy/ch-python.html to see how it all works.
Last edit: 26 Apr 2020 22:51 by mookins. Reason: Doubled up on another post

More
27 Apr 2020 12:26 #165814 by Joe80
Hi,
first of all, very good manual. With this, the installation of Debian 10.3 is very easy :)

I had a question, hope you can help me. I tried to reduce my Jitter with the following manual:

wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?The_Is..._Parameter_And_GRUB2

the following works very well in my old Linux installation with "Wheezy". But not under "Buster"

As shipped, Ubuntu distributions using GRUB2 include a set of configuration script files in the directory /etc/grub.d/ with names 00_header, 05_debian_theme, 10_linux, etc. These files are processed in numerical order as a component of GRUB2 creates the file grub.cfg. Kent's solution is to add to this directory a new file 07_rtai that scans for linux-rtai kernels and for them only creates boot menu entries including the "isolcpus=1" parameter. Kent uploaded a copy of this file at 07_rtai.

This file has been updated to add support for Ubuntu 12.04, LinuxCNC 2.6.x, as it now looks for kernels ending not only in "rtai", but also "rtai-686-pae".

Assuming one has downloaded this file to one's home directory, the following commands will implement it.

<username>@<hostname>$ sudo cp 07_rtai /etc/grub.d
<username>@<hostname>$ sudo chmod +x /etc/grub.d/07_rtai
<username>@<hostname>$ sudo update-grub

At this point, one should find that the file /boot/grub/grub.cfg contains menu entries for the linux-rtai kernels with the boot parameter "isolcpus=1" set at the end of the kernel line. If the default file 10_linux is present and executable, the same linux-rtai kernels as well as all other installed linux kernels will also occur in following menu entries without this additional parameter present.

Kent Reed created the file 07_rtai by editing a copy of the distributed file 10_linux. Following Kent's introductory block of comments, all changes to the logic of 10_linux have been marked in 07_rtai by comment lines beginning #KAR:.

But now, with Debian 10.3 it seems, that it don´t copy the "isolcpus...." entry into the grub boot parameter.

Do you have the same problem, and an idea, how I can solve it?

Thank you.

Best regards from Germany
Jörg

More
27 Apr 2020 12:40 #165815 by tommylight
Hallo Jörg,
Hab nie die isolcpu benutzt, dafur weis ich nicht was es tut fuhr latency.
I have never used isolcpu so i do not know what it does for latency.
Maybe someone else can shed some light.

More
27 Apr 2020 12:57 #165816 by Joe80
Hi,

I reduced my latency/Jitter with the manual and isolcpus to a very low value... 10.000 permanently, unter load.

With Debian Buster I can use the "probe screen", but I have a very high latency/Jitter (200.000) without optimization.

Hallo,

ich habe meinen Latency/Jitterwert mit der Anleitung dem Isolcpus Parameter auf ca 10.000 optimiert - über eine längere Zeit, unter Last.

Mit Debian Buster kann ich auch den Screen "Probe screen" installieren. Leider habe mein System ohne Optimierung einen Wert von ca 200.000 maximal. Das ist etwas zuviel

Best regards / Viele Grüße
Jörg

More
27 Apr 2020 16:12 #165842 by Joe80
Hi,

i found something, which works (hope the link is ok)

wiki.altervista.org/cs/kernel_boot_parameters
Example of the "isolcpus" option

Open the file /etc/default/grub. Example:

sudo gedit /etc/default/grub

Edit the option GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT in the file /etc/default/grub to boot all the kernels with the new option. In this case, the kernel boot option isolcpus=2,3 has been used, on a 4 cores CPU, to boot the kernel (and the other OS processes) using CPU cores 0 and 1, while CPU cores 2 and 3 are isolated, i.e., not used.

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash isolcpus=2,3"

Run the command:

sudo update-grub

to make active the GRUB configuration at the next reboot.

With this, my latency is under 10t :)

Best regards
Jörg
The following user(s) said Thank You: seuchato

More
01 May 2020 07:41 #166283 by rudi
does linuxcnc on debian 10 function as a controller or just simulation?

More
01 May 2020 08:12 #166287 by tommylight

does linuxcnc on debian 10 function as a controller or just simulation?

Controller and sim.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rudi, ChironFZ16

More
03 May 2020 16:35 - 03 May 2020 16:37 #166513 by Plasmaguy
Probably a silly question but I am upgrading an i386 system from 2.7 to 2.9 in order to run the fancy plasmac config on my plasma gantry. I assume I should download an i386 iso rather than the recommended amd64 link?
Last edit: 03 May 2020 16:37 by Plasmaguy.

Time to create page: 0.105 seconds