LinuxCNC Install using MX Linux 19.4 - Geared Toward New Users

More
28 Mar 2024 21:19 #297039 by acourtjester
Phill I got a notice of a single new update to be loaded, is that to correct the missing folder bug you pointed out above (missing /examples/)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Mar 2024 22:55 #297044 by phillc54
It most probably is, you can check what updates are available by clicking the appropriate link here:
forum.linuxcnc.org/plasmac/37233-plasmac-updates#232393

More
28 Mar 2024 23:42 #297050 by acourtjester
I am still having odd errors coming up and need some directions.  I am getting error related to the latency test, I was told by another member to run the test and note the max jitter and write it in the box when running Pncconf.  I did that and still get the error, tried different time same result.  Also when I run Pncconf and then correct the missing folder (/examples/) and run QTPlasmaC it tell me a restart system is needed.
I also tried to add some missing custom buttons see list attached, but it was a total fail.  Entered as they appeared on the list.  In an older version I did add a simple command move torch to laser cross hair location and it worked (G1 X-5.XX Y-2.XX f70). I entered it under a page in the GUI followed with a save.
Attachments:

More
29 Mar 2024 01:33 #297053 by tommylight

I am getting error related to the latency test, I was told by another member to run the test and note the max jitter and write it in the box when running Pncconf. 

Whoever told you to do that has no clue about how stuff works in LinuxCNC as servo period is normally never changed from the default 1000000 (1 million). The only usable reasons for changing the servo period is when using a really old/bad PC or when wanting faster position updates from Mesa boards.
The above advice is valid only for use with parallel port and StepConf, and even then it is not very good as the value entered should always be higher than jitter value.
Set it back to 1 million and report back if it works or not.
The error you posted can also be caused by network cards, so what network card is in use?

More
29 Mar 2024 02:40 #297056 by acourtjester
I am using a Dell AIO PC OptiPlex 3050 and it has a
Realtek RTL8111HSD-CG Ethernet LAN 10/100/1000M on system board for connection to the Mesa 7i76e
I worked well with the Bulleye's version of LinuxCNC before I switched to 19.4.

More
29 Mar 2024 03:47 #297058 by phillc54
The restart message is telling you to restart LinuxCNC, that is because an update was done that modified the ini file. 

What is the exact issue you are having with the custom buttons. 

More
29 Mar 2024 13:43 - 29 Mar 2024 13:47 #297106 by acourtjester
Thanks for the reply, the problem with the buttons was, I added some from the list when in Pncconf. And the next restart of the GUI the message was displayed (attached below). I went back in to Pncconf and removed those additions and did not have the error again. In a different version I had added a button to move the torch to a laser marked position (simple G-code instruction) with out a problem.
My thought was while in Pncconf that was how I add new buttons and used the example from the list as the format for them to be installed. Now after that it seems they should be added to one of the optional files for the GUI from the manual.
15.1. Custom User Buttons
The QtPlasmaC GUI offers user buttons that can be customized by adding commands in the USER BUTTON ENTRIES section of the SETTINGS Tab in the <machine_name>.prefs file.

another post I made about the buttons in the past
forum.linuxcnc.org/plasmac/50130-custom-...on-qtplasmac?start=0
Attachments:
Last edit: 29 Mar 2024 13:47 by acourtjester.

More
29 Mar 2024 14:23 #297111 by tommylight
In the attached picture, the servo period is still 151xxx, that will not work, change it to 1 million.

Time to create page: 0.309 seconds