failed upgrade from 2.3.0 to 2.3.2

More
08 Jul 2009 01:30 #491 by chuck1024
I have been using EMC2 since about december. I upgraded to 2.3.0 77 days ago. Yesterday I attempted to upgrade to 2.3.2 but it didn't work out well.

I probably didn't do it the best way either. I started update manager and told it to updated without reading the update instructions.

Things went ok except that firefox won't run and therefore help doesn't work either. When I tried to start firefox it would put segfault in the syslog. I tried to reinstall firefox using synaptic package manager but that generated an error. I tried to remove firefox and that generated an error. Now it doesn't seem to put anything in the syslog.

EMC2 seems to run but it puts a "message handler not found under /com/redhat....."

Is it repairable or should I reinstall the entire system?

thanks

chuck

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Jul 2009 11:46 - 08 Jul 2009 12:22 #493 by BigJohnT
Was the original install from the LiveCD 8.04 or 6.06?

I know that this won't help but I've upgraded two 8.04 machines without any problems... hopefully someone with more smarts about the install will pop in and lend a hand.

And I just upgraded my 6.06 machine with no problems...

Also, upgrading from 2.3.0 to 2.3.2 would not require you to do anything to adapt, so just letting the synaptic package manager do it's thing should have sufficed.

I wonder if the Firefox issue is the root of the problem?

John
Last edit: 08 Jul 2009 12:22 by BigJohnT.

More
08 Jul 2009 14:55 #494 by chuck1024
The original install was a 8.04 live CD. I upgraded to 2.3.0 about 78 days ago using the published update procedure. Last night I tried booting in safe/repair mode. It tried to fix firefox but stopped with a problem.

I downloaded a new lived CD and installed it by formating the disk (to remove a dual boot windoze partition). Now things look normal and firefox starts but it cannot connect to the internet.

I am just about ready to install the old software with my original live CD.

chuck

Time to create page: 0.196 seconds