help partitioning hard drive

More
15 Sep 2009 19:06 #835 by john_t6
I'm trying to install EMC2 by partitioning my existing winxp laptop.
I get to the point where ubuntu is resizing my disk, but never finishes. 15 hrs last night and I finally had to cancel.
This is a Compaq laptop (6yrs old) /20 Gig HD, 512Ram
I Defragged, chkdsk, etc...
The live cd works fine, but can't install. Any ideas?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Sep 2009 22:12 - 15 Sep 2009 22:15 #836 by BigJohnT
Yea, don't try to install Ubuntu on a laptop as a dual boot. That is trouble on top of trouble. Try and find a desktop to intall it on.

Typically you won't use a laptop for real time machine control due to the laptop hardware that pauses from time to time to do whatever. If your just trying to get familar with EMC just work from the live cd.

Good Luck
John
Last edit: 15 Sep 2009 22:15 by BigJohnT.

More
15 Sep 2009 22:55 #837 by mozmck
Sometimes xp puts stuff all over the drive and there are some things that are supposedly not moveable. Vista is worse. I had to use a program called PerfectDisk (www.perfectdisk.com/) to resize the partition on my Dad's Vista laptop so he could install ubuntu. The free trial version did what I needed and worked great. It moved the non-moveable stuff and Vista still worked fine when it was done. Like John said though, a laptop will most likely not work well for actual machine control - but will be fine for learning EMC.
Moses

More
16 Sep 2009 16:15 #839 by john_t6
Thanks guys,
I'm aware of the issues concerning laptops and machine control. I have a desktop running mach3 for that.
I use my laptop for "dry runs" so to speak; no machine attached, me sitting comfortably on the couch watching TV.
I just wanted to try EMC2 for grins and also to try Ubuntu and ditch Windows.
I'll keep trying ..... I'll try perfect disk as you say, Moses.
Thanks again

Time to create page: 0.087 seconds