Low budget plasma setup, what do I need?

More
22 Jun 2019 05:00 #137555 by rodw
Yes, upgrading the power hurts in this country. 100 amps is pretty big by most industrial standards around here. I Was a bit worried about my 125 amp plasma cutter which officially draws more than what comes in to my unit but its been running fine off a 32 amp 3 phase power point.

I know a couple of laser cutters who have relocated and it was pretty horrendous to get the power and in one case, they did not think about it at all so had a pretty torrid time over it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: thefabricator03

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Jun 2019 09:39 - 22 Jun 2019 09:51 #137572 by tecno
I did a short test with 200A AC on aluminium and no problems with my power lines.

So I am a happy camper ;)

In my workshop I have 16A breakers with C character.

Could it be that this welder has PFC (power factor correction) ?
Last edit: 22 Jun 2019 09:51 by tecno. Reason: added text

More
22 Jun 2019 23:45 #137619 by tommylight
Andy thanks for the tip, but i have used that tig exactly once since i got it 3 years ago to test if it works, it did so i was happy.
My home has the wiring for anything i can throw at it as i did the wiring using 5X6mm solid wire, my whole workshop gets it's power from a single 3 phase socket in the kitchen. Back when i build the house i was living in the city centre so it was an overkill to have such thick wires, and because of that i had installed only 16 and 25Amp fuses.
I already bought the 40Amp ones but since i will have to move soon enough i do not feel like changing them.
I also need a new line with at leas 5X10mm for my Mazak lathe, that monster uses 40 KW at full throtle. As Mr. Smith would say " it is inevitable " ( quote from Matrix.

More
22 Jun 2019 23:48 #137620 by andypugh

I already bought the 40Amp ones but since i will have to move soon enough i do not feel like changing them.

My point was that often you will need a breaker of the same capacity, but a higher instantaneous rating.

In your case, with oversize wiring, you could use type D breakers and still be sure that they would work properly.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
23 Jun 2019 01:22 #137631 by thefabricator03

In your case, with oversize wiring, you could use type D breakers and still be sure that they would work properly.

With my current build I am using a 1500w toroidal power supply for my DC servos,

I wired my control box up with a normal breaker and the inrush current kept tripping the breaker,

I changed it out for a D curve breaker and no more problems!
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
23 Jun 2019 20:49 #137670 by tommylight

My point was that often you will need a breaker of the same capacity, but a higher instantaneous rating.

Andy, sorry if it comes through as ignoring you, i most certainly am not.
I am fully aware of different types of breakers and different types of Ground Fault interrupters, i have plenty of them installed and in use, with the habit of checking them every 3 to 6 months.
Here i can find only B type breakers and 300mA delta GFI ( lately, like in last 8 months there are by some miracle 30mA ones, but usually 40A and under, i use 63A and up ). I did manage to get 3 of the C type variety at 40A, so that is what i plan on using for the Mazak at the "for the time being unknown" location.
Thank you very much for your continued support.
Regards,
Tom

More
25 Jun 2019 09:56 #137780 by tecno
Updated schematic

Question:
Where do I connect the Pilot Arc?
Attachments:

More
25 Jun 2019 10:21 #137782 by rodw
There is nothing to connect for the pilot arc, thats handled by the machine. Sorry but I don't know enough about the cards you are using to comment on anything else.

5 volt logic level seems low to me as I'm used to working with 24 volts, I hope its not affected by noise.

More
25 Jun 2019 10:31 #137785 by tecno
Is ARC OK to be setup somehow? Is some sensing device needed?

More
25 Jun 2019 12:20 #137795 by rodw
I think you might be able to synthesise ArcOK by monitoring current on the material clamp lead. You may have luck with a slotted ferrite ring with a hall effect sensor glued into the slot placed around the cable. I did make one ages ago but my plasma died so I never used it in anger to know if it worked.

But you might just use the correct mode in Plasmac which sets a voltage threshold for ArcOK for those machines that don't have a signal.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tecno

Moderators: snowgoer540
Time to create page: 0.312 seconds