2+2+3 More Plasma builds, double the joy ! 3X2M and 2.5X1.5M cnc plasma build.

More
16 Jul 2020 12:40 #174842 by tommylight

They look good. Did you weld them with a stick welder? Or drag a MIG up there?

Both, the mig was causing quite some issues with the wire not moving properly so most of the welds ended up ugly as hell. Had to use an inverter as i can not get the bigger ones out, the machines took all the space.
Vicious circle, self caused ! :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: thefabricator03

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Aug 2020 15:09 #178480 by tommylight
The big one went bye bye ! :(
Tomorrow going to mount it in it's final resting working place. Sad to see it gone but happy to get out of a self inflicted hole in finances! :)
Next, a square tube cutting one, so stay tuned till further notice !
The following user(s) said Thank You: phillc54, Clive S, rodw

More
18 Aug 2020 18:03 - 18 Aug 2020 18:04 #178617 by shpatb
sell one...build couple more..thats how it works :))))
I hope that beauty got in the right hands of use..as i had the chance to see it from up close,it was an awesome machine designed and build by a single person .
Last edit: 18 Aug 2020 18:04 by shpatb.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
18 Aug 2020 20:40 #178628 by tommylight
This big one went to stay at the same place the rotary one is i did a while back, so here are separate videos of them and stay tuned for plenty more videos.
Transported yesterday, went there, put it together, installed a new torch and torch cable of 12 Meter length, turned it on and started cutting some random stuff to do some rough THC tuning, delays, heights for cut and pierce, etc. Did a test cut of 70cm cuts in both directions with a 80mm piece under one side of the material, so not much of a slope, but it tracks so nicely, no jumps or bunny hopping at all.
The biggest irony of the day : This work shop is about 2 Km far from a 600 MW Coal Electric Plant, but we could not cut anything over 10mm in thickness as the voltage drop was terrible and setting the plasma to 120A would make things even worse ! My shop is 100KM from it, that same machine with the same plasma was 2 days ago in my shop and it worked perfectly at full bore ! Well it is a new industrial zone being build in a small village so they were told that the new transformer and a direct power line will be ready in two months.
Nuff talk, more videos:
The following user(s) said Thank You: phillc54, Clive S, thefabricator03, shpatb

More
18 Aug 2020 22:08 #178634 by tommylight

sell one...build couple more..thats how it works :))))
I hope that beauty got in the right hands of use..as i had the chance to see it from up close,it was an awesome machine designed and build by a single person .

That one is in the same shop as this one, done some years back:

There is another Chinese one i retrofitted, also with LinuxCNC, in the same shop.
The following user(s) said Thank You: thefabricator03, shpatb

More
18 Aug 2020 22:10 #178635 by tommylight
BTW, i have to build another one for cutting square tubing up to 100X100mm for the same shop, so any ideas are welcomed !
Thank you

More
18 Aug 2020 22:14 #178636 by Clive S

BTW, i have to build another one for cutting square tubing up to 100X100mm for the same shop, so any ideas are welcomed !
Thank you

We get all the ideas from you Tom :lol:
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, thefabricator03

More
18 Aug 2020 23:03 #178640 by machinedude
self centering 4 jaw chuck ? they sell them so seems like it would be a possibility to use two of them lined up with one end doing the driving and the other end to act as spinning tail stock. the tail stock end would have to be mounted on a shaft with some bearings so it could spin while being driven by the other.

just an idea. could do either square or round material that way. more universal that way and interesting to the point it might end up being something i might look into more in depth myself :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight

More
19 Aug 2020 06:03 #178673 by tommylight

self centering 4 jaw chuck ? they sell them so seems like it would be a possibility to use two of them lined up with one end doing the driving and the other end to act as spinning tail stock. the tail stock end would have to be mounted on a shaft with some bearings so it could spin while being driven by the other.

4 Jaw chuck is easy, the supporting part is a bit trickier as it also needs to allow the material to move through it and spin with it, otherwise it is of no use for cutting, but it might well be very useful for doing decorations on square tubing.

More
19 Aug 2020 06:18 #178677 by machinedude
i was thinking of long square tube with the tail stock and a second 4 jaw chuck. start off with material longer so you have a chucking hub do all the work on the 4 sides then cut the ends off once the work is complete.

we had these fixtures we use to use on long shaft work for prepping the bar for steady rests. basically those were a section of tube with 4 tapped holes 90 degrees apart with a cap on one end with a center for a live center in a tail stock. the 4 set screws were like a basic 4 jaw chuck of the non centering type. you just have to indicate the stock to the center line of the piece. those fixtures were in different sizes based on shaft size.

i'm not sure why you would need the stock to pass through anything unless you need a spindle bore through hole for a 20 foot bar with a bar feeder of some sorts so things pass through the chuck driving the square tube ? something like that would need a hydraulic chuck in that case.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tommylight, ruthdavid869

Time to create page: 0.119 seconds