fadal 4020 retrofit documentation request

More
24 Apr 2024 20:25 #299022 by mathwld
Hello,

Is there anyone here who has documentation for retrofitting a Fadal 4020 with an umbrella? I'm willing to pay for the information provided... I'm going with an EtherCAT version. But the information will help me speed up the project completion time. I have a Fadal that I use daily... but I'm tired of its DC quirks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 May 2024 09:06 - 04 May 2024 09:08 #299697 by andypugh
It might be worth a targeted search on CNCzone. (If you haven't already tried this)

www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=...=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8#ip=1
Last edit: 04 May 2024 09:08 by andypugh.

More
04 May 2024 12:42 #299726 by spumco
Not a 4020, but I think the same ATC
forum.linuxcnc.org/12-milling/40843-re-r...nc-7i77d-5i25#191707

OP:
Are you trying to do this 'on the cheap' (reuse motors & drives), or do you want to gut it and replace as much as possible?

More
08 May 2024 21:07 #300159 by mathwld
My problem is not controller. I can be ok with slow and limited memory. But I hate old dc servo. So the retrofit is a must to have new servos. I was thinking at delta. But now I try to get information before buying it.. because I’m not smart enough to make them work. :d and for the start is a must to have it running pretty fast. This is the reason I’m willing to pay for help.

More
09 May 2024 02:11 #300178 by spumco
You could replace all the servo & drives with modern, but you'll need to check the DC servos to see if the new ones will bolt up to the existing mounts.  Couplers shouldn't be a problem if the shafts are different.

Once you pick a servo & drive combo for all three (?) axes, then the controller can be selected.  LCNC is perfectly capable of controlling the machine (including the existing DC servos), but I don't think a complete retrofit to LCNC with new drives will be accomplished quickly unless the retrofitter has a fair amount of experience.

Running the new servo cables will be a day or two alone.

What do you mean by 'fast'? Is this a production machine and you can't have it down for more than a couple of days?

More
09 May 2024 08:29 #300203 by andypugh
At least the machine is working at the moment, so it should be possible to assemble the new control system on the bench with all the correct cable lengths, and maybe use the current controller to make any needed adaptor flanges.

That said, there isn't much wrong with old DC servos, I think that they mainly fell out of favour because the drives are more expensive.

A LinuxCNC conversion to +/- 10V controlled velocity-mode is a well trodden path, and can often be set up with matching controller connectors so that the machine can be switched back to the original control in a few minutes when needed.

If you definitely want to go to EtherCAT then I would definitely suggest building the system on the bench first, and making sure that you have all the servos under control.

As you have probably guessed, the toolchanger will be the most "interesting" part. Is that also controlled by a DC servo?

More
09 May 2024 19:13 #300234 by mathwld
let say I can stop everything for 2 weeks. to make brackets and everything for conversion is easy job for me after I will buy the motors. I'm not scared about mechanical stuff... i have basic understanding also of servo systems. But i know nothing about linux cnc.

More
09 May 2024 19:21 #300236 by mathwld
I have just very basic knowledge of electronics and programming, this is scary me the most, but I'm interested to learn.

The amplifiers are old, one is death.. I use one from the 4th axis now.
The motors, 2 of them are not really smooth if I turn them by hand I feel some "noise" inside.
I will buy 2 motors... and after that I will have 2 amps, and after that I will must to change 2 cards. Eletronics is from 96... if I will start to move to new I will go with everything to new.
I have also a hi/low system pneumatic, also this scarring me a little.
The tool changer is a geneva mechanism.
"The following is the order of operations for the CNC when making a tool change
(Geneva driven and Servo Turret):
1) Move the Z axis to the machine home (cold start) position.
2) Turn the spindle slowly while looking for the Orientation Sensor signal.
3) When orientation signal is received, stop the spindle.
4) Activate the orientation arm.
5) Move the ATC turret to the tool position of the tool in the spindle.
6) Verify the orientation sensor.
7) Check the ATC Home sensor and verify that the ATC is at the home position.
8) Activate the ATC slide reverse circuit.
9) Activate the ATC slide motor circuit (air cylinder circuit for the EMC).
10)Watch for the ATC extended sensor signal.
11) Stop the slide motor (air cylinder for the EMC) when the extended position
sensor is read.
12)Activate the draw bar.
13)Watch for the drawbar sensor detection (air feed parameter).
14)Check for the ATC fault switch.
15)Move the Z axis up to 3.8” above the cold start position.
16)Activate the turret motor and the turret reverse (if the reverse direction is
required) circuit(s).
17)Count the turret sensor signals, with a dwell time for coasting as set by the
turret factor, until the requested tool position is reached.
18) Stop the turret motor.
19)Move the Z axis downward to the machine home position.
20)Check for the ATC fault switch.
21) Release the drawbar circuit.
22)Activate the ATC slide motor.
23)Watch for the ATC Home sensor, to determine the ATC home position.
24) Stop the ATC slide motor (air cylinder for the EMC).
25) Release the orientation arm.
Note: The hall effect sensors have three wires. One for 5vdc, one for ground,
and one for the signal. The signal will be about 5vdc until a magnet is over
it, then it will become active, and the signal will be about zero.
ATC Sensors &
Switch
The ATC Slide Home sensor is active when the ATC is in the home position. The
connections are 1060/J12 pin 4 for Gnd, pin 6 for 5 VDC, pin 5 for the signal
connecting to the 1040 PCBA at pin 72.
The ATC Slide Extended sensor is active when the ATC is at the extended
position under the spindle. The connections are 1060/J12 pin 1 for Gnd, pin 3
for 5 VDC, pin 2 for the signal connecting to the 1040 PCBA at pin 70.
The ATC Turret Motion sensor is active when the turret is moving to the next tool
position and it is half way to the next tool position. The connections are 1060/
J12 pin 7 for Gnd, pin 9 for 5 VDC, pin 8 for the signal connecting to the 1040
PCBA at pin 74.
The ATC Fault switch is closed if the ATC spindle is moved out of position. The
connections are 1060/J11 pin 7 for Gnd and pin 8 is the signal to the 1040
PCBA at pin 66."

More
09 May 2024 23:37 #300255 by andypugh
2 weeks for the mechanical conversion and installation seems reasonable, but you should have the system working on the bench and controlling the motors before you start installing.

The toolchanger sounds a lot like the sample config that uses a G-code subroutine and the carousel component.
sim-axis-vismach-vmc_toolchange
(this is a virtual simulated machine with an onscreen 3D model, you can run that now simply by installing LinuxCNC on a PC)

More
10 May 2024 06:05 #300294 by mathwld
Other “small” problem will be the vector drive of the spindle, I will love to keep rigid taping.
I believe I will buy in the end the motors… and let’s hope I will be able to do this retrofit. :-??

Moderators: cncbasher
Time to create page: 0.098 seconds