Questions about moving install from one system to another

More
28 Apr 2024 23:45 #299283 by LearningLinuxCNC
So, I went to boot up one of my computers today and it would not boot. The motherboard was dead.
In an effort to get the machine going again, it is just for testing and simulation, I removed the hard drive from one computer and installed it in another. Now it will boot and I can log in but the system freezes after a couple minutes of operation. If I have a network cable connected I get kernel errors.
Any Idea on why I cannot just move the hard drive install. This pc has ran an linuxcnc install previously, granted it was a different release 2.7 vs 2.8.

Just looking for ideas. I was needing to test some new gcode tonight for first thing in the morning. It is a custom 5 axis machine that I need to simulate using this config. Lots of customization.

Any Ideas would be helpful.

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Apr 2024 02:05 - 29 Apr 2024 02:06 #299288 by cornholio
The kernel errors would be interesting to see, some spec on the old vs new system could help as well, information, we need information.

Another thing would be to try a live boot from the same version that is running on the hard disk.
Last edit: 29 Apr 2024 02:06 by cornholio.

More
29 Apr 2024 05:04 #299292 by rodw
COpy the linuxcnc folder and all of its contents to a new PC

More
29 Apr 2024 15:40 #299322 by LearningLinuxCNC
So I moved the hard drive to another motherboard and now all is well with the setup. Must have an incompatibility or a problem on the one motherboard.

Time to create page: 0.188 seconds