LinuxCNC on Raspberry Pi 5

More
19 Nov 2023 23:13 #285969 by flyingbrick
I'm new here. You guys are amazing to be honest.

On the fence about buying a Pi5 rather than using one of my existing PC's for my first controller, I guess I'll wait a few weeks (need to truck my new machine home) and see how we are going then.

Thanks again, what a great community here.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Nov 2023 23:43 #285974 by tommylight
You are welcomed, always, make yourself at home! :)
My advice, use the existing PC's and stay away from RPI-anything.
You can freely ignore my advice, or thank me later! :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: merongi, cornholio, flyingbrick

More
20 Nov 2023 00:47 #285981 by cornholio
First of the RPi-5 is quick, but be sure to get the alloy heatsink & fan cos it'll get hot.

RPi-5 may be ok for one of the Mesa Ethernet boards (hopefully) but I wouldn't plan on using an SPI based boards ie 7c80, 7c81 or 7i90 as the spi driver is a no go. The hm2_spi needs patching to use 8 bit words only, well as my experiments have shown, the hm2_rpspi driver may need more info of the RP1 io chip to be released. One other thing on note the RP1 datasheet claims latency of 1us between the CPU & the RP1.
Even mesaflash needs some work. It's ok for writing a bit file, but for any other usage on the RPi5 it doesn't work out of the box.

So I do have one but I wouldn't run out and get on for use with Linuxcnc ATM. I almost regret my purchase but at least I can relay my experience to others.
And one other thing until an image for linuxcnc is finialised you will have to build your own kernel using the RPi kernel source and this kernel patch "patch-6.1.59-rt16.patch". Yes there is a slight mismatch in the kernel & RT patch version but so far it seems to work, and there's no errors patching the kernel source code.
The following user(s) said Thank You: flyingbrick

More
20 Nov 2023 05:00 - 20 Nov 2023 05:01 #285989 by rodw
Replied by rodw on topic LinuxCNC on Raspberry Pi 5

And one other thing until an image for linuxcnc is finialised you will have to build your own kernel using the RPi kernel source and this kernel patch "patch-6.1.59-rt16.patch". Yes there is a slight mismatch in the kernel & RT patch version but so far it seems to work, and there's no errors patching the kernel source code

Well there is an image here crying out for testing. Its based on the official 2.9.1 image for the PI 4B just compiled for the different BCM2112 board.It should work based on cornhlio's comments.

drive.google.com/file/d/1H_q0Ra-27ZDOhqu...x1f/view?usp=sharing
Last edit: 20 Nov 2023 05:01 by rodw.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cornholio

More
20 Nov 2023 05:16 #285991 by cornholio
Yes of course there is rod’s Image.
Sorry mate I completely forgot.

I’ve done a few rip builds and built a set of Linuxcnc packages on the thing, even without a super fast SD card it’s quick.

Just ordered a hat that takes a m.2 drive that uses the PCIe connector, so should be interesting.

Ok rod gunna test your image.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rodw

More
20 Nov 2023 06:48 #285993 by cornholio
Boots but.......

gets stuck in 640x480 video mode, checking the kernel cmdline via dmesg after boot it seem to be setting bcm2708 frame buffer to 640x480.

Now I haven't ready access to a hmdi monitor so using a hdmi to dvi adapter.

Same adapter works fine with the RP-400 & RPi-5 with raspberry pi image I've been using.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rodw

More
20 Nov 2023 07:20 #285996 by cornholio
Just tried running a config with RPi5 using hm2_spi (hm2_rpspi is not an option ATM), completely effing useless. Constant SPI timeouts.

Went back to the RPi-400 using the hm2_spi driver no issues at all.

As I'm not in a position to test an ethernet card I really can't give an opinion regarding that option. But honestly unless you are strapped for space (wanna small foot print)I'd avoid the Rpi5 for Linuxcnc ATM.

Really disappointed with it in that regard.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rodw, flyingbrick

More
20 Nov 2023 08:05 #286000 by rodw
There have been a few things about the screen I have seen but can't remember where. Ther is a boot parameter to set 1080p instead of the 4k default. I'm sure when there are a few more about, these will be fixed.

More
20 Nov 2023 16:36 - 20 Nov 2023 17:26 #286061 by Calysto
Replied by Calysto on topic LinuxCNC on Raspberry Pi 5
I've connected my Pi5 to my 7c80. I've powered my 7c80 with a 24V/5A power supply. When the Pi boots, it's complaining about getting not enough power for my usb SSD. So, the 7c80 is not delivering enough... 

There's always the option to power the Pi separately, but not with extra steps....

Still hoping that it will work.....some day.... before christmas? :-) Who do we need to send an email, call, whatsapp, spam, ask for a bank account??? :-)

Last edit: 20 Nov 2023 17:26 by Calysto.

More
20 Nov 2023 18:51 #286080 by rodw

I've connected my Pi5 to my 7c80. I've powered my 7c80 with a 24V/5A power supply. When the Pi boots, it's complaining about getting not enough power for my usb SSD. So, the 7c80 is not delivering enough... 

There's always the option to power the Pi separately, but not with extra steps....

Still hoping that it will work.....some day.... before christmas? :-) Who do we need to send an email, call, whatsapp, spam, ask for a bank account??? :-)

You could try connect your SSD via a powered USB hub. Not sure if you can boot that way.

Time to create page: 0.179 seconds