XHC-WHB04B-6 and LinuxCNC 2.9.1

More
14 Jan 2024 04:59 #290609 by CNC_Tux
in the INI keep the Card "7i96s.0"
make the changes in the "hal" ( your_Machine.hal )
change "hm2_7i96s" to "[HMOT](CARD0)"

I will post my Configs tomorrow.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Jan 2024 11:14 #290630 by poesel
The only reference I have in my configs (hal & ini) to the 7i96 is this line in <machine>.ini

[HMOT]
CARD0=hm2_7i96s.0

The .hal then uses [HMOT](CARD0) exclusively.
I will be happy to see your configs, as I really would like to fix that!

More
15 Jan 2024 16:20 - 15 Jan 2024 16:21 #290766 by CNC_Tux
In your INI file you use in the section :
[HMOT]
CARD0=hm2_7i96s.0
The Hal file looks like in the Attachment My_Machine.hal
In your Hal, so i suppose is "hm2_7i96s" this value, please change it to "[HMOT](CARD0)"

File Attachment:

File Name: My_Machine.hal
File Size:16 KB
Attachments:
Last edit: 15 Jan 2024 16:21 by CNC_Tux.

More
21 Jan 2024 15:33 #291262 by poesel
Unfortunately, that is not my problem. My hal has always used [HMOT](CARD0).

But I have another question: there is no reference to the WHB in your hal. Where did you put that?

Thanks.

More
25 Jan 2024 05:12 #291572 by CNC_Tux
WHB has his own hal file, this hal file will called in the ini file of your machine configuaration.

More
14 May 2024 15:00 #300578 by westhedge
I'm having the same problem as well. Seems this is a common problem with no obvious solution. Step count stays = 0 in halshow. I started with the pendant config file from linuxcnc.org/docs/stable/html/man/man1/xhc-whb04b-6.1.html 
and modified it to fix the duplicated pin mappings (there were not too many)

I've tried the [HMOT](CARD0) change suggested. That doesn't work.
I've also tried all of the various other fixes from people posting on the forum to no avail.

I can see the jog dial send messages when I run xhc-whb04b-6 -ue so I'm certain the pendant is not a dud.
However when I run xhc-whb04b-6 -p I don't see any messages from the jog dial. Is this expected?  I'm beginning to think maybe there is a bug in this version of the driver.
Linux 2.9.2 using 7i96s Relevant hal files attached.

Attachments:

More
14 May 2024 16:40 - 14 May 2024 16:55 #300585 by westhedge
The error below is just because I had the multiplier knob on "Lead"  Still the pendant wheel does not increment count even if it's on a valid setting.
So I just noticed when I ran xhc-whb04b-6 -ue I am getting an error I do not understand when I spin the jog dial. Maybe there is something here?

in 0x04 10 00 00 90 11 04 10 delta 144 => | 04 | 10 | | | ( ) | X( ) | 4 | 10
pndnt failed to interpret axis code feed axisCode={�}
pndnt wheel total counts {counts=0 activeCounter=0 isLeadActive=0}
Last edit: 14 May 2024 16:55 by westhedge.

More
14 May 2024 18:47 #300591 by westhedge
Holy. Moly.
The issue plaguing me was NOT obvious AT ALL. It turns out the issue with spindle toggle (S-ON/OFF button) not toggling (only setting "on"), E-Stop (RESET button) not working, jog dial not working, yeah, they were actually all related and it speaks to something I wish someone could explain to me about HAL pin wiring.

The facts:
I used pncconf to generate my ini and hal files. In the main hal file, it wires up (among other things)
net machine-is-on halui.machine.is-on
However, in the sample XHC WHB04B file, there is a conflicting line:
net machine.is-on                        whb.halui.machine.is-on                halui.machine.is-on
OK, says I, no problem, according to the HAL man page, signals are additive, so I changed that line to 
net machine.is-on                        whb.halui.machine.is-on
thinking that the 2 pins would be connected through the 1 common signal. That's a big nope, and for the life of me I do not understand why. (maybe someday I'll have a lightbulb moment...)
The solution: 
The key was to NOT change the sample  XHC HAL, but to comment out the net line in the main config.

That was ridiculously difficult to sort out.

Why almost everything else worked on the pendant except for the dial still makes little sense to me. e.g. if the machine is in E-Stop, why should spindle on/off be allowed? Everywhere I've worked, the E-stop is a safety device, not a "some parts are safe" device.

More
14 May 2024 20:48 #300605 by tommylight
net = connect some pin to some other pin
machine.is-on = LinuxCNC machine on/off pin
halui.machine.is-on = hal UI meaning User interface machine on/off pin
whb.halui.machine.is-on = WHB "joystick" machine on/off pin

More
14 May 2024 21:07 #300608 by westhedge
Therein lies my confusion. When I read the basic hal linuxcnc.org/docs/2.6/html/hal/basic_hal.html it says "The same signal-name can be used in multiple net commands to connect additional pins, as long as the rules above are obeyed." (then there's a diagram showing the flow)

My understanding (which may be incorrect?):
machine.is-on (signal)
halui.machine.is-on (signal reader)
whb.halui.machine.is-on (signal reader)

And the man page (their example) states:
"Since the signal xStep contains the value of stepgen.0.out (the source) you can use the same signal again to send the value to another reader. To do this just use the signal with the readers on another line."
So my first attempt was to do just that, but it did not work as I'd expected. Am I incorrect about the nature of these pins?
e.g.
net a b1 b2
does not appear to be the same as
net a b1
net a b2

As I say - maybe my understanding of these pins is flawed. New to the hal concept, and I'm thinking about it like logic circuit wiring.

Time to create page: 0.152 seconds