Trouble installing NativeCAM

More
05 Apr 2017 23:09 #90951 by Kelvin
Hello,

First let me say I am as green as one can be, I am new to Linux and LinuxCNC.

I was able to download and create a bootable USB stick and install Debian Wheezy with LinuxCNC v2.7. I also updated LinuxCNC via the Synaptic Package Manager to v2.7.8.

In an attempt to learn about LinuxCNC and how to use it I have been watching YouTube videos, this is where I came across NativeCAM. I went to github.com and the NativeCAM readme file, Mar 14, 2017, states that...

NativeCAM is now a deb package supplied with LinuxCNC meaning it can be automatically updated after changes are published (if not released yet, it is a matter of days)

I did not see it included in either 2.7 or 2.7.8, am I missing it some how? I also did not see it listed in the Package Manager.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Apr 2017 23:41 #90954 by tommylight
NativeCam is a realy nice addition to Linuxcnc, it is already in github as a source and binaries, but Nick is working on making it an instalable deb package so it will be much easier to have it working. Last i read here it is due theese days so you can wait for the deb or you can download the existing package from github and make that work, it has all the info on how to included. You can use it as a stand alone by just double clicking on ncam.py or use it with sim configs already included to see how to use it and get to know it, or you can make it be embeded in your config. The embede and sim are nice as you can see the changes as you make them on the Axis screen.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kelvin

More
06 Apr 2017 01:55 #90958 by Kelvin
Replied by Kelvin on topic Trouble installing NativeCAM
I went ahead and did a git clone but am getting errors when I try and run it. I have run out of time today (my day off) so I will wait to see if it becomes available as a deb by my next day off. If not I will try again. Thanks for the feedback.

More
24 May 2017 12:29 #93593 by rotwang
I'm also having trouble installing NativeCam, in my case the root cause seems to be that the install scripts make too many assumptions about ini files. I have various things broken out in #INCLUDE files, and the install scripts can't find things.
Would it be possible to summarise the edits that the install script is trying to make so I can do them by hand.
The simulation setups work fine so the basic install is ok.
One teeny tiny point, for me "height" is, was and ever shall be associated with the Z-axis, trying to remember that "depth" refers to the Z-axis catches me every time. Was there a reason for this choice?
Roger

More
26 May 2017 08:01 #93651 by grump
Replied by grump on topic Trouble installing NativeCAM
It is a great tool and a very useful addition but I gave up trying to get it running as it should.
I think it still needs some work to fully integrate with axis, it would be nice to see it adopted by Lcnc.
I know I followed the destruction's to the letter and it only ever worked as standalone or in demo mode for me.

More
26 May 2017 21:24 #93686 by tommylight
I have plenty of computers and i tend to install them offten, like every 2 to 4 days at least one or two of them, experimenting and stuff.
I use Axis gui and nativecam works on the first try always.
This is with Ubuntu and Mint, several versions from 16.04 and 17.2 to the latest.
As far as i recal, it can also be embeded as a tab in Axis and Gmoccapy.

More
28 May 2017 22:57 #93766 by FernV
Replied by FernV on topic Trouble installing NativeCAM

I'm also having trouble installing NativeCam, in my case the root cause seems to be that the install scripts make too many assumptions about ini files. I have various things broken out in #INCLUDE files, and the install scripts can't find things.

It is not possible to help you unless you save the terminal output and post it here

Would it be possible to summarise the edits that the install script is trying to make so I can do them by hand.

Read nondeb_setup.py and you will see that it is really not easy

One teeny tiny point, for me "height" is, was and ever shall be associated with the Z-axis, trying to remember that "depth" refers to the Z-axis catches me every time. Was there a reason for this choice?

When I was in elementary school, I learned that a rectangle (2d) had a length(X) and a height(Y). A 3d cube has a length(X), a width(Y) and a height(Z). When milling, 'depth' is used because it usually mill below the 'surface'. This is only my point of view and could be renamed if most users/operators ask for a change.

If you have trouble installing, you can refer to forum.linuxcnc.org/40-subroutines-and-ng...amed?start=310#93764

Fern

More
29 May 2017 13:09 #93789 by grump
I think my problem is that I am not using a full blown distro but only LXDE-core installed on a 4 gig sd card.
And maybe it lacks some dependencies or something of that ilk.
Anyway I have persevered again and got it running pukka with no issues.

Only thing I want to change is running it in the panel, when I used it previously I ran it in a tab but I am damned if I can remember how to get it tabbed.

It's fine on big screen side panel but my eyes are not so good on small screen and have to much on the gui, Tabs much better for me.

More
30 May 2017 22:33 #93862 by FernV
Replied by FernV on topic Trouble installing NativeCAM

Only thing I want to change is running it in the panel, when I used it previously I ran it in a tab but I am damned if I can remember how to get it tabbed.

You can clone the latest version and the instructions on how to do it are in README.md or better yet use
./ncam.py -t -i(your inifile)
The -t option with axis will make NativeCAM in a tab. I recommend you delete the modified ini file, and remove the .bak extension of your backup to start fresh

You will be able to use it in a tab until you can afford a large monitor. There are plenty of used ones and inexpensive.

Fern
The following user(s) said Thank You: grump

More
31 May 2017 13:56 #93886 by grump
Thanks for that Fern, I'll give it a try.
I have a large monitor on my setup already and have no issues with the home cnc.
I am helping a local company that only use Microsoft products and can't get their heads around the software they have licensed.
I have been using a USB SD card to boot from and showing them lcnc on their systems, they only have grubby little screens and I have difficulty in seeing them

Time to create page: 0.262 seconds