Hydraulic Linear Motion Precision Controll

More
17 Feb 2022 15:17 #235144 by vanhalen90

Hello, Everybody!
Half a year ago I have retrofitted the CNC mill which is fully hydraulically driven.
It is the Soviet Union Machine from the year 1991.
I have even incorporated ATC and automatic two-stage gearbox (Thanks to Eric Salo for his youtube videos).

3 axis motion has tracking hydraulic drive. It includes a stepper motor (Number 4 on the picture attached) with a screw(3) on a moving part of each axis and a proportional valve(2) that is connected to the stationary part of the actuator(1). Every time the screw shifts lever connected to the valve, the valve opens and lets reach the balance point of the system and to put the valve into its middle position. So proportional valve always follows the screw.
Righ as it is I have a positional accuracy of 0.02 - 0.04mm for machining square shape and drilling holes.
But once I want to machine a contour or holes/cylinders the diameter is 0.5-1mm bigger, depending on the speed of machining.
This happens because when the axis is moving it is always lagging behind in order to valve remain open and allow a constant velocity.
I am looking for ways to compensate for it. For me possible solutions are:
 - Install linear scale and tune the servo to compensate it.
    Will it be sufficient?
 - Install linear scale and connect stepper motor directly to the valve. 
   In this case, I will have to set up the controller to controll the velocity of the axis but not the position. How to do that?
   Also what is the best way mechanically to control the valve? 

I would be very thankful for any ideas and help in implementation.
If any additional explanation or information is needed just let me know.
I will keep you updated
Thank you
Vasyl.

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Feb 2022 20:04 #235424 by Grotius
In this case, I will have to set up the controller to controll the velocity of the axis but not the position. How to do that?

In hal stepgen you have a pin for "velocity or position" control.
For the rest i have no advice.

More
21 Apr 2022 21:19 #240813 by smc.collins
hydraulics, probably you have 2 options, convert to balls screws and servos, or slow the machine way way down so that the pid can tune it properly. Personally, I'd put the money into Servos and ball screws if possible. I'd want to go with position feedback and linear encoders
The following user(s) said Thank You: vanhalen90

More
21 Apr 2022 22:39 #240832 by andypugh
In a previous job I ran a servo-hydraulic tensile testing machine. Iw as accurate to microns and could cycle at kHz.

So hydraulics ought to work.

I think that you could definitely improve your machine with linear scales. Then use those for feedback and control the stepper motors with a PID. No need to change the mechanicals at all. The PID (when tuned) will automatically cause the stepper motor to lead/lag as required.
The following user(s) said Thank You: vanhalen90

More
23 Apr 2022 12:41 #240988 by smc.collins
yes, but the hydraulic circuits in those machines are designed to operate like that, IE spool valves, high FQ solenoids etc. That machine is a tightly coupled system. I have my doubts that a soviet era hydraulic CNC machine would offer such accuracy. It very well may, but it seems unlikely.

More
23 Apr 2022 14:39 #240995 by andypugh
The tech seems similar to a hydraulic copy lathe (or copy mill) and those work very well.

More
26 Apr 2022 14:18 - 26 Apr 2022 14:19 #241293 by smc.collins
It certainly does, but hydraulic copy mills aren't crazy high accuracy, + - 5-10 thousandths for many of them if not greater.

They were never used for very high accuracy work afaik and mostly for surface contiur work where final critical dimensions were often milled after contour work afaik.

I know a few old iron guys, that's what they've indicated when i asked about a hydraulic copy mill for CNC cylinder head work
Last edit: 26 Apr 2022 14:19 by smc.collins.

More
26 Apr 2022 14:31 #241295 by andypugh

It certainly does, but hydraulic copy mills aren't crazy high accuracy, + - 5-10 thousandths for many of them if not greater.

As I understand it, copy lathes do pretty well. 

The thing is, CNC (specifically PID) ought to be able to compensate for the hysteresis in the control valve. 

More
26 Apr 2022 15:09 #241301 by scotth
Older hydraulic machine valves used dither to keep the spool from sticking near zero.

qualityhydraulics.com/blog/valves/what-dither-versus-pwm

This will help explain the problem.

More
17 Aug 2022 20:25 #249973 by vanhalen90
Thank you all for the answers!
I have finally bought linear scales and started the installation.
I will tune it in the nearest future and share the results.

Another idea is to remove copy screws and other intermediate links between the stepper motor and proportional valve. I would like to connect the stepper motor directly to the proportional valve via the lever on the shaft of the stepper.
As far as I understand there is a velocity control mode on LinuxCNC which is used to control old servos with  Analog +-10V. And proportional valves also control the velocity of the Hydraulic cylinder.
So what do you think, is there a way of converting a +-10V signal into Step/Dir Pulses to let the stepper deviate from the zero position?
How is it possible to implement in software, or is it simpler to do in hardware, for example, to have an external microcontroller to convert the signals?

Thank you very much for your suggestions and ideas.
Vasyl.

Time to create page: 0.108 seconds