Optimum BV20 mill head

More
11 Jul 2022 05:52 #247055 by cadpete
I have been looking at this  M647 - BF-20AV Opti-Mill Head Attachment - Geared & Tilting Head | Hare & Forbes Machineryhouse  as a possible source for a milling head for my CNC mill.

Has anyone else looked into these and more specifically looked at how to change the speed using a mesa 7i76 spindle output.
I have seen the seig options being used with a 3rd party option for speed control.

If all else fails could be a good source for a manually set up (speedwise) mill head suitable from metal cutting.

Not overly keen on the MT3 set up but would allow me to get started and look at the BT30 options later once everything else has been dialled in.

Locally this is a cheaper option than the Chinese options.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Jul 2022 10:59 #247444 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Optimum BV20 mill head
There are some cheap spindles on eBay that require a separate motor. I don't necessarily see this as a bad thing as it potentially gives you more flexibility in gearing, and you get to use a standard induction motor and VFD.
As a very random example: www.ebay.co.uk/itm/255197077008

What sort of power and RPM range are you looking for?
(And have you looked on Amazon? You can get BT30 with pneumatic toolchange for about the same as what you are looking at, though with no mounting: www.amazon.co.uk/dheik-Spindle-Milling-E...aving/dp/B09S3B1MYH/
(The same things are on eBay, but then you don't know where you stand with postage and import taxes)

More
16 Jul 2022 14:09 #247465 by cadpete
Replied by cadpete on topic Optimum BV20 mill head
Yes, that is the same head I have already looked at. By the time you add motor and VFD it is way more than I can get the bv20 for. If it is possible to drive it direct from the spindle output that would be a great

More
16 Jul 2022 20:48 #247504 by andypugh
Replied by andypugh on topic Optimum BV20 mill head
If that Optimum motor is anything like the one on the milling head that was bolted to the back of my CNC lathe/mill you will need to replace it with a motor and VFD eventually anyway.
And the plastic 2-speed gears will fall apart. Or wear out, as they just run in an open box with a handfull of grease.

Though that one might be better.

Moderators: piasdom
Time to create page: 0.113 seconds